Different magnets with a coil, what are the currents?

In summary: If not, Lenz's Law states that the EMF (force exerted on the magnet by the field of the induced current) is inversely proportional to the current through the coil, and voltage is proportional to the number of turns in the coil.Thanks.
Holchr
Hi.
Can someone please explain/tell me what would be the resulting currents trough the coil in every of the three depicted scenarios in the attached picture, I'm confused here. Would the first and the second drawing produce the same result? Is there any current flow in the third drawing.
Thanks.

Attachments

• magnetsandcoils.jpg
    magnetsandcoils.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 438
Physics news on Phys.org
Holchr said:
Hi.
Can someone please explain/tell me what would be the resulting currents trough the coil in every of the three depicted scenarios in the attached picture, I'm confused here. Would the first and the second drawing produce the same result? Is there any current flow in the third drawing.
Thanks.

The first and second will produce current in opposite direction(since change in magnetic flux is opposite in direction, due to, magnetic fields through the coil are in opposite direction), there is NO current in the third picture because of NO flux through coil(assuming the magnet is big enough to not have edge effects).

Thanks a lot universal. I got just one more question so I'd really appreciate help.

When a magnet passes trough a coil, there are three points of interest to me. The VOLTAGE, the CURRENT, and the EMF (lenz effect, or the force exerted on the magnet by the field of the induced current) (maybe some of this is wrong but bear with me).

So I wanted to know to which of the parameters of the system are VOLTAGE, CURRENT and the EMF proportional, and to which inversely proportional, or is not affected by the parameter.

1. The number of turns in a coil
2. The diameter of the wire in a coil
3. The magnetic flux density of the permanent magnet
4. The velocity of the magnet trough the coil.

Thanks.

Holchr said:
Thanks a lot universal. I got just one more question so I'd really appreciate help.

When a magnet passes trough a coil, there are three points of interest to me. The VOLTAGE, the CURRENT, and the EMF (lenz effect, or the force exerted on the magnet by the field of the induced current) (maybe some of this is wrong but bear with me).

So I wanted to know to which of the parameters of the system are VOLTAGE, CURRENT and the EMF proportional, and to which inversely proportional, or is not affected by the parameter.

1. The number of turns in a coil
2. The diameter of the wire in a coil
3. The magnetic flux density of the permanent magnet
4. The velocity of the magnet trough the coil.

Thanks.

The answers to most of your questions are covered by Lenz's Law:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenz's_law

Are you familiar with it yet?

Hello,

Thank you for your question. In order to understand the resulting currents in each of the three scenarios, it is important to first understand the basic principles of electromagnetism. When a magnet moves relative to a conducting coil, it creates a changing magnetic field that induces an electric current in the coil. This is known as electromagnetic induction.

In the first and second drawings, where the magnets are moving towards or away from the coil, there will be a current flow in the coil. This current will be induced in the same direction in both scenarios, as the magnetic field is changing in the same direction. However, the magnitude of the current may be different depending on the strength of the magnets and the distance between the magnets and the coil.

In the third drawing, where the magnets are stationary, there will be no current flow in the coil. This is because there is no changing magnetic field to induce a current. However, if the magnets were to suddenly start moving towards or away from the coil, a current would be induced in the coil.

I hope this helps to clarify the resulting currents in each scenario. If you have any further questions, please let me know. Thank you.

1. What is the purpose of a coil in a magnet?

A coil is used to create an electromagnet. When an electric current flows through the coil, it creates a magnetic field around the coil. This magnetic field can be used to attract or repel other magnets, making the coil and magnet combination more powerful.

2. How do different types of magnets affect the current in a coil?

The type of magnet used will affect the strength of the current in a coil. Stronger magnets will create a stronger current, while weaker magnets will create a weaker current. Additionally, the orientation and distance of the magnet from the coil will also impact the current.

3. What factors influence the strength of the current in a coil?

The strength of the current in a coil is influenced by the strength and orientation of the magnet, the number of turns in the coil, and the material of the coil. A stronger magnet, more turns in the coil, and a more conductive material will result in a stronger current.

4. Can the current in a coil be controlled?

Yes, the current in a coil can be controlled by adjusting the strength of the magnet, the number of turns in the coil, and the material of the coil. Additionally, the current can also be controlled by changing the voltage or resistance in the circuit.

5. What are some real-world applications of magnets with a coil and currents?

Magnets with a coil and currents have a wide range of applications in various industries. They are used in electric motors, generators, speakers, MRI machines, and many other devices. They are also used in everyday objects such as doorbells, credit card readers, and hard drives.