Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Different subject forum but at same level as physicsforums

1. Oct 2, 2014 #1

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Not even care if this question is within the rules, but just knowing it is a good question...

I already tried various google searches, and I wish I could find a languages & linguistics forum that is of the same level of quality as physicsforusm - but about languages, linguistics, translating, language education. Physicsforums has good advice about careers, problem-solving, courses of study, and various other topics about sciences, mathematics, academic research, engineering, real world work in math, science, technology.

I wish I had been able to find something of the same level but about language and languages.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Sounds like what Greg was wishing so long ago.
    There is always the possibility of starting one?

There is a linguists forum and a stack-exchange thing for linguistics ... I take it those do not measure up?

Language and linguistics would sit between social science and humanities - so many questions could probably be addressed here. Have you tried and run foul of the rules?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  4. Oct 3, 2014 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

This is the linguistics sub-forum, so all threads on the subject belong here.

5. Oct 4, 2014 #4

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Advice: start a "Linguistics bibliography" thread. You don't have to call it that. Just start a thread where you put URL LINKS to interesting linguistics journal articles and magazine articles and other ONLINE resources, when you come across them.

After you have accumulated links for several months or a year, other people might get interested and they might contribute some url links to online resources. If you have accumulated an interesting bibliography of free online resources, then eventually one of the mods might make it a STICKY thread.

Eventually you might attract a handful of other people interested in discussing " languages, linguistics, translating, language education" as you said.

What I am advising is that YOU MAKE this department of PF a language&linguistics forum of similar quality to other parts of PF. Whether you can succeed depends on luck and also on your effort and ability.

Personally I am interested in translation of rhyming (and metrically structured) poems from European languages. I think other languages' great lyric poems should be available in English translations which carry over some of their rhyme and meter form. That may not interest you. Not everybody is interested in all aspects of translation. But if you know any translations from German, Italian, Spanish, French etc which you like and which preserve form, and if you have links to any I can read online, then I invite you to start a thread and post the links. You are likely to have at least one interested reader.

6. Oct 5, 2014 #5

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

I have not seen any linguistics subforum here on physicsforums. I only find a Social Science subforum. Maybe a language and linguistics section or subforum or board could be made for this section. A new "thread" or topic title could be started for a specific question or two that someone may have, but it would be a topic or thread simply IN the social science subforum.

7. Oct 5, 2014 #6

Evo

This is the linguistics subforum. It's listed here https://www.physicsforums.com/forums/social-sciences.85/ [Broken] If you look under *Social Sciences* you will see it listed. Sociology, Anthropology, Archaeology, Linguistics, Economics

Marcus had some excellent suggestions.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  8. Oct 5, 2014 #7

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

That item in the list does not link to anything; it is just an item in a short list and then there is no linguistics or language subforum. Do you mean that the entire Social Science section IS the subforum for all of Sociology, Anthropology, Archaeology, Linguistics, and Economics?

So far, what I have found through internet searches seem very poor. I will take one more look at the link that Marcus gave.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  9. Oct 5, 2014 #8

Evo

Yes, that is because there is not enough posting on the topic for it to have it's own separate sub-forum. Many of our sub-forums handle multiple topics.

10. Oct 5, 2014 #9

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Understandable.

Physics forums is mainly focused on natural sciences, mathematics, and engineering, and those areas are physicsforums purpose.

11. Oct 5, 2014 #10

Evo

It doesn't mean that if you are able to get enough people involved to warrant it's own space that we wouldn't re-arrange things, over the years, sub-forums have come and gone based on use.

12. Oct 6, 2014 #11

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

13. Oct 6, 2014 #12

Pythagorean

Gold Member

The stack exchange is the only other high traffic place I've found with similar standards to PF. They have a linguistics exchange.

14. Oct 6, 2014 #13

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

I now agree about Stack Exchange for the sections on specific languages and for the linguistics section. I still like the regular well-organized types of forums which are structured in the way that physicsforums is structured. Stack Exchange claims itself to NOT be a forum, but a site for asking and answering questions. With something like physicsforums, the visitor or member can find an outline of the whole forum. Finding the correct category is usually easy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook