1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Different times Reference Frame Question

1. Nov 7, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In a given reference frame, event 1 occurs at t1 = 0 s and position x1 = 0 m while event 2 occurs at t2 = 3.6 × 10^−4 s and x2 = 0.60 × 10^5m. Is there a second reference frame in which these events could be at the same place but different times? If so, specify its motion with respect to the first frame. If not, what is the frame in which the two events have the least possible distance.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I wasn't sure if this is how you do it, but since .60^5/3.6^-4 = 1.66 x 10^8 m/s, which is lower than the speed of light, I said a reference frame moving at that speed relative to the first one would satisfy that requirement. However, can someone confirm / refute that and give me some advice. Thank you!
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2012 #2

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

I haven't actually checked your arithmetic, but you're thinking about the problem in the right way, so if you did the arithmetic right you'll have the right answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook