Different Way to Solve a Limit of an Indeterminate Equation

• Thread starter chislam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the given limit can be solved using the L'Hopital's rule or by factoring the numerator and cancelling out the (x + 2) term. Both methods yield a limit of 12.
chislam
[tex]
lim_{x\rightarrow-2}\frac{x^3 + 8}{x+2}
[/tex]

Ok, I have solved this using synthetic division in which the limit was 12, however I was wondering if there was a way to solve this without using synthetic division (seeing as I hate the process of it).

I've solved plenty of other indeterminate equations by factoring out a polynomial and then being able to cancel out so that I can then plug in x, but I wasn't able to do so with this one.

I'm just curious if there are any other ways to solve this specific limit.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
L'hospital rule (applies only when it is in forms like 0/0, inf/inf)

differentiate both num and den, and then sub in your -2

Yeah I started reading up on that rule, but didn't understand it fully until your reply. So the derivative of the numerator is 3x^2 and the denominator is 1 so then just sub in the -2 and you get 12. Got it, thanks a lot for clearing up that rule for me.

Not that this is much different than using synthetic division, but the numerator is a sum of two cubes, which factors according to

[tex]a^3 + b^3 = (a + b) \cdot (a^2 - ab + b^2)[/tex] . So, in fact, this numerator can be factored and the (x + 2) term can be cancelled.

Last edited:

1. What is an indeterminate equation?

An indeterminate equation is an equation where the value of the variable cannot be determined by simply substituting in a value. This can happen when the equation has an undefined term, such as 0/0, or when it has multiple possible solutions.

2. What is a limit in mathematics?

In mathematics, a limit is the value that a function or sequence approaches as the input or index approaches a certain value. It represents the behavior of the function or sequence at that specific point.

3. Why do we need different ways to solve a limit of an indeterminate equation?

Indeterminate equations can have multiple solutions or no solution at all, making it difficult to determine the limit using traditional methods. Different approaches allow us to evaluate the limit in these cases and find a more accurate result.

4. What are some common methods for solving limits of indeterminate equations?

Some common methods include L'Hopital's rule, factoring, substitution, and using trigonometric identities. These methods can help simplify the equation and make it possible to evaluate the limit.

5. Are there any limitations to using different ways to solve a limit of an indeterminate equation?

Yes, there are limitations to consider when using different methods. For example, some methods may only work for certain types of equations, and others may require complex calculations. It is important to choose the most appropriate method for the specific indeterminate equation being evaluated.