1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential cross section formula of electron-positron pair production.

1. Jul 23, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I need to calculate the differential cross section in order of Mandelstam variable [tex]t[/tex], instead of the angle [tex]\theta[/tex]. My problem is with the change of variable not the amplitude of the process. I'm getting a global minus sign which can only be wrong.

It seems I'm making a very basic error but I cannot find it.

2. Relevant equations
    Starting from (p1+p2->p3+p4):

[tex]\frac{d \sigma}{d\Omega}=\frac{1}{64\pi^2s}\frac{\left|\vec{p}_3^{CM}\right|}{\left|\vec{p}_1^{CM}\right|}\left|M\right|^2[/tex]

And knowing that for this particular process we have ([tex]t=(p_1-p3)^2[/tex]):

[tex]t=m^2-2\left(E_{1}^0 E_{3}^0-\left|\vec{p}_3^{CM}\right| \left|\vec{p}_1^{CM}\right| cos(\theta)\right)=m^2-\frac{s}{2}+\frac{1}{2}\sqrt{s(s-4m^2)}cos(\theta)[/tex]

I then calculate:

And use this in:

[tex]d\Omega=sin(\theta)d\theta d\phi[/tex]

This global minus sign propagates then into the differential cross section [tex]\frac{d\sigma}{dt}[/tex] and into the total cross section.

3. The attempt at a solution

Can someone please help me find where are my calculations failing?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2010 #2
    I've thought about it again, and I see that with the change of variable [tex]\theta \rightarrow t[/tex], the new limits of integration are [tex][t_{max},t_{min}][/tex], since [tex]t[/tex] decreases with [tex]\theta[/tex] in the interval [tex][0,\pi][/tex], which accounts for an extra minus sign.

I would delete the first post, but I don't think it's possible.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook