1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential cross section/simple integral

1. Nov 11, 2008 #1
    At least it should be a simple integral...

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The whole text is here- http://i35.tinypic.com/2nisnp.jpg

Basically (I think) I need to integrate the differential over all angles theta and phi, and get sigma(naught) back out.

2. Relevant equations

given in pic

3. The attempt at a solution

If I use the given substitution and integrate I get log(tan(pi/2)) which is log(0) which is broken... I don't really know where to go other than that.

Thanks! Been reading the forum for a long time but this is my first question :)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2008 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You shouldn't be getting any Log terms when you integrate; if you show me your work, I can tell you where you are going wrong.

4. Nov 11, 2008 #3
    I substitute sin(theta) for d(omega), and the integral for 1/sin(theta) is log(tan(theta/2)) at least as given by mathematica and the back of my book.

I kind of figured I shouldn't be getting that, which is what makes me think I'm approaching the problem all out of whack.

5. Nov 11, 2008 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You should be substituting [itex]sin(\theta) d \theta d \phi[/itex] for [itex]d \Omega[/itex] not just [itex]sin(\theta)[/itex]...[itex]d \Omega[/itex] is a differential, [itex]sin(\theta)[/itex] is just a function...you should have:

[tex]\frac{d \sigma}{d \Omega}=\frac{d \sigma}{sin(\theta) d \theta d \phi}=\frac{\sigma_0}{4 \pi}[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow d \sigma=\frac{\sigma_0}{4 \pi} sin(\theta) d \theta d \phi[/tex]

...do you follow?

Then just integrate both sides of the equation.

6. Nov 11, 2008 #5

I figured it was something simple. I follow perfectly, thank you very much :)

[...I need to figure out that LaTeX code stuff, that's pretty cool.]

7. Nov 11, 2008 #6

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your welcome. There's an introduction to LaTeX here :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?