Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential Eq. Last Step Solution Separating Variables

1. Jun 3, 2013 #1
    Solve each differential equation. Express the general solution in explicit form.

y' = (3x^2 -1) / (3+2y)

So, I will skip many steps, because they are easy. However, I am stuck in one of the last ones.
    y^2 +3y = x^3- x +C

y(y+3)= x^3 - x +C

I have seen the solution for y, but I don't understand how it is derived. Can someone help?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 3, 2013 #2
    Try completing the square on the left hand side, and then taking the square root of both sides of the equation.

4. Jun 5, 2013 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

y(y+ 3)= y^2+ 3y= x^3- x+ C

y^2+ 3y+ (x- C)= 0.

Solve that quadratic equation using the quadratic formula.

5. Jun 5, 2013 #4
    Hello HallsofIvy, How did you get rid of x^3 ?

6. Jun 5, 2013 #5
    He appears to inadvertently left it out. The method HallsofIvy suggested and the method I suggested are mathematically equivalent.

Chet

7. Jun 6, 2013 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Yes.
    Move all of the terms to the left side, and you'll have a quadratic in y. It's probably simpler at this point to just use the Quadratic Formula to solve for y, which will have two parts separated by ±, as is usually the case.

If there is an initial condition, it might lead you to choose one or the other of the two values.

8. Jun 6, 2013 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I waved my magic wand and uttered a spell of "Carelessness"!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook