Differential eqns or linear algebra?

In summary, the conversation discusses which math class would be best to take after finishing calc 2 if multivariable calc is not an option. The options suggested are Linear Algebra and Differential Equations, with different perspectives on which one would be more beneficial. It is also mentioned that the two subjects are closely related and it is important to understand the connection between them. It is concluded that both subjects are important to know and it would be best to take Linear Algebra first with an emphasis on its relation to Differential Equations.
renob
Im about to finish up calc 2. which of these would be best to take assuming i can't take multivariable calc next semester?

Physics news on Phys.org
renob said:
Im about to finish up calc 2. which of these would be best to take assuming i can't take multivariable calc next semester?

This depends on what you mean by "best." Are you a math major? an engineering major? Do you plan to go to grad school? What are you more interested in? etc.

In general, Linear Algebra is probably more directly applicable overall, but as Newtime said, without more information about what you're planning on taking in the future, it's impossible to give a good answer.

If you're a physics student, then definitely DiffEQ. I haven't taken either class yet, and I'm finding that my lack of DE experience is killing me where my lack of linear algebra experience hasn't been a factor.

I'm a junior taking Classical Mechanics (lagrange's equations, etc), and that class is almost all DEs.

I'm in engineering. I need to take both of them eventually, just wondering which one I'd be better prepared for since I've only gone up to calc 2

From what I've heard and experienced, you don't need calculus to learn Linear algebra and you need to be fairly good with calculus for Diff Eqs. So from what you've said I'm guessing either would be fine. However, you might want to learn partial differentiation before going to diff eqs. But, that's just my opinion.

If you need to take both it makes the most sense to take linear algebra before taking differential equations. In fact, in some colleges linear algebra is a prerequisite for differential equations. This is because many topics in differential equations require concepts from linear algebra such as finding the eigenvalues of a matrix.

alright thanks, good to know. I'll take linear algebra, then multivariable calc, then differential eqns.

i think linear algebra is more basic and more useful, and indeed almost essential in order to understand diff eq. on the other hand some people might find it useful to learn diff eq as an example of linear algebra at work, and then learn the linear algebra afterwards.

It is my theory that linear algebra was invented to systematize the techniques of elementary differential equations, i.e. linear ones. In fact, as pointed out in the notes for math 4050 on my website, the so called jordan form theory for matrices essentially says that all linear maps look like the basic linear differential operator D acting on a solution of an appropriate linear constant coefficient diff eq.

More precisely, jordan form says that matrices can be decomposed into pieces that correspond to polynomial factors of form (t-c)^r. These in turn correspond to solutions spaces of the differential operator (D-c)^r.

"Eigenvalues" arise in studying the easiest equations (D-c) which have solutions like e^(ct).

so really elementary diff eq is just linear algebra at work, and linear algebra is just linear diff eq made abstract.

Yet again, the most important linear map is D, differentiation, and the most important function is e^t, and the reason for this is that e^ct are the eigenfunctions of D.

So the two subjects are the same. Hence studying linear algebra without seeing the connection with diff eq is kind of dumb, and studying diff eq without having the linear nature of the subject pointed out is equally myopic.in the end, the fact that the general solution of a linear diff eq is of form f0 + g, where f0 is one particular solution and g is the general solution of the homogeneous problem is the main idea of both subjects. Some will learn this idea better in practice, i.e. from diff eq, and others may appreciate it abstractly, i.e. in linear algebra.

so everyone should know both subjects, even if only interested in one of them.

conclusion: take linear algebra but be sure the connection with linear diff eq is pointed out. consult for instance friedberg insel and spence, or at a higher level, pages 234-237 of chi han sah's abstract algebra (or my 4050 notes).

Last edited:

1. What are differential equations and linear algebra?

Differential equations and linear algebra are two branches of mathematics that deal with the study of equations and systems of equations. Differential equations involve the study of equations that describe how a quantity changes over time, while linear algebra deals with systems of linear equations and their properties.

2. How are differential equations and linear algebra used in science?

Differential equations and linear algebra are used extensively in science to model and understand various physical, biological, and social systems. They are particularly useful in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to describe and predict the behavior of complex systems.

3. What is the difference between a differential equation and a linear algebra equation?

The main difference between a differential equation and a linear algebra equation is that a differential equation involves derivatives and describes how a quantity changes over time, while a linear algebra equation involves variables and describes a relationship between them.

4. What are some common applications of differential equations and linear algebra?

Differential equations and linear algebra have a wide range of applications in various fields. Some common applications include modeling population growth, predicting the weather, designing electrical circuits, and analyzing financial markets.

5. How do I solve a differential equation or a linear algebra equation?

Solving a differential equation or a linear algebra equation involves finding the unknown variables that satisfy the given equation. This can be done using analytical or numerical methods, depending on the complexity of the equation. Some common techniques for solving these equations include separation of variables, substitution, and using matrices and determinants.