1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential equation---a conceptual problem

1. Oct 13, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am reading a note on differential equation.There is a point that I don't understand,hopefully someone can explain
    (Please see the attched)
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    The notes wrote " a1t + b1 x + c1 = a1T + b1X
    a2t + b2t + c2 = a2T + b2X

the following sentence dX =dx + 0 and dT = dt+0
    What does it mean?
    I guess it was something like dX/dT = d(x+ħ)/d(t+τ)?But then I have no idea.This is the first time I have met this kind of case...
    Can someone explain,thx so much 10848927_1222013937814418_6698737448882156997_o.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2015 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It says to choose ##\tau## and ##\eta## such that ##\bar{x} = x + \eta## and ##\bar{t} = t + \tau## obey the two equations you wrote above. That tells you how to find ##\tau## and ##\eta##, and since the ##a_i## and ##b_i## are constants, so are ##\tau## and ##\eta##. Thus, ##d \bar{x} = dx + d \eta = dx##, because ##d \eta = 0## (##\eta## is a constant).

4. Oct 13, 2015 #3
    But why does dn = 0? I have only learnt dy/dx,I dont know what does it mean when they are separated(and so I post this thread :/)...

5. Oct 13, 2015 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You don't know why the derivative of a constant is zero? Go back to your elementary calculus notes!

6. Oct 13, 2015 #5
    Yes,I understand dy/dx = 0 if y is a constant.But the note said dy = 0,so the bottom dx is vanished,and that's make me confused

7. Oct 13, 2015 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't see any ##y## or ##dy## anywhere in the note.

8. Oct 13, 2015 #7
    Sorry,I mean d(something)
    From the notes:
    dX = dx + 0,dT = dt + 0

The problem is that I don't know what's going on because usually when you differentiate a function,say y = x^2,you write:
    dy/dx = d(x^2)/dx = 2x ,the Leibniz's notation is written as dy/dx.In my notes,just like dX = dx + 0,and the "denominator" in the standard dy/dx notation vanishes,so that's why I don't understand the statement above.

9. Oct 13, 2015 #8

phyzguy

Science Advisor

Writing it this way is a shorthand called implicit differentiation. You have:
    [tex] \bar x = x + \eta; \frac{d \bar x}{d x} = 1 + 0[/tex]
    Now multiply through by dx and write:
    [tex] d \bar x = dx + 0 [/tex]

After a bit of practice, you just skip the intermediate step and write immediately:
    [tex] d \bar x = dx + 0 [/tex]

10. Oct 13, 2015 #9
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted