Differential equation/characteristic equation

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the character equation for a differential equation and solving it with given initial conditions. The character equation is found to be p^2-4p+3=0 and the general solution is given as y(t)=Ce^(pt)+C2e^(p2t). The conversation also mentions a separate problem with the hint to use the homogenous solution, but it is unclear if it is related to the first problem and if it has been solved.
Resa
Member warned about not using the homework template
Any help is appreciated

1.)----Find the Character equation for the diff equation d^2y/dx^2-4dy/dx+3y=0 with initial conditions y(0)=0 and y'(0)=12 find the solution y(t)

(this is what I have gotten so far on this part) p^2+4p+3=0
then (p-1)(p-3)=0 so p1=1 and p2=3?
not really sure what to do after that
2.)----then solve the diff equation 4dy/dx+16y=80 where y(0)=6 (hint is that you have the homogenous solution in the problem above)

Physics news on Phys.org
Resa said:
Any help is appreciated

1.)----Find the Character equation for the diff equation d^2y/dx^2-4dy/dx+3y=0 with initial conditions y(0)=0 and y'(0)=12 find the solution y(t)

(this is what I have gotten so far on this part) p^2+4p+3=0
then (p-1)(p-3)=0 so p1=1 and p2=3?
not really sure what to do after that

You mean ##p^2 \color{red}{-} 4p +3##. You got the characteristic equation by assuming solutions of the form ##e^{pt}##. So what do you get for your general solution?

ummm is it
y(t)=Cept+C2ep2t
I really don't know...

LCKurtz said:
You mean ##p^2 \color{red}{-} 4p +3##. You got the characteristic equation by assuming solutions of the form ##e^{pt}##. So what do you get for your general solution?
I figured out the answers

Resa said:
2.)----then solve the diff equation 4dy/dx+16y=80 where y(0)=6 (hint is that you have the homogenous solution in the problem above)
Despite the hint, I don't see that this is related to question 1 at all. Have you been able to solve this problem?

Mark44 said:
Despite the hint, I don't see that this is related to question 1 at all. Have you been able to solve this problem?
yes

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is an equation that contains derivatives of an unknown function. It describes the relationship between the unknown function and its derivatives. Differential equations are commonly used in mathematics, physics, engineering, and other scientific fields to model and predict the behavior of complex systems.

2. What is a characteristic equation?

A characteristic equation is an algebraic equation that is used to find the roots of a differential equation. It is obtained by substituting the derivatives in the differential equation with their corresponding characteristic expressions. The solutions of the characteristic equation are then used to find the general solution of the differential equation.

3. What is the difference between ordinary and partial differential equations?

Ordinary differential equations (ODEs) involve a single independent variable and its derivatives, while partial differential equations (PDEs) involve multiple independent variables and their derivatives. ODEs are used to describe the behavior of a single variable over time, while PDEs are used to describe the behavior of multiple variables over time and space.

4. How are differential equations solved?

The method for solving a differential equation depends on its type and order. Some common techniques include separation of variables, substitution, and using the characteristic equation. In some cases, numerical methods or computer simulations may be used to approximate solutions.

5. What are some real-world applications of differential equations?

Differential equations are used in a wide variety of fields to model and analyze complex systems. Some common applications include predicting population growth, modeling weather patterns, analyzing electrical circuits, and understanding the behavior of chemical reactions. They are also used in economics, biology, and other areas of science and engineering.