1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential equation first, first degree help

1. Jul 11, 2011 #1
    Differential equation first, first degree help!!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

solve: x.dy + y.dx + (x.dy - y.dx)/(x^2 + y^2) = 0

2. Relevant equations

if M.dx + N.dy = 0 has to be exact then

equation 1: partial derivative of M w.r.t y (keeping x constant) = partial derivative of N w.r.t x (keeping y constant)

3. The attempt at a solution

the idea is to find if this equation is exact because once you do that the integration is easy..

but

now i first i simplify the equation by multiplying throughout by (x^2 + y^2)

simplified form: (x^3 + x.y^2 - y).dx + (y^3 + y.x^2 + x).dy = 0
    try to check if it satisfies equation 1: partial derivative of M w.r.t y (keeping x constant) = partial derivative of N w.r.t x (keeping y constant)

here M = (x^3 + x.y^2 - y) & N = (y^3 + y.x^2 + x)

we get 2.x.y - 1 is not equal to 2.x.y + 1

now i try another method i.e. group the terms without multiplying throughout by (x^2 + y^2)

simplified equation: [x - (y/(x^2 + y^2))].dx + [y + (x/(x^2 + y^2))].dy = 0
    now when we apply equation 1 criteria we get:

partial derivative of M w.r.t y (keeping x constant) = (y^2 - x^2)/(x^2 + y^2)^2 = partial derivative of N w.r.t x (keeping y constant) = (y^2 - x^2)/(x^2 + y^2)^2

my question is - why is it that i am getting the two methods to be different???

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2011 #2
    Re: Differential equation first, first degree help!!

eh... anyone???? wold really help.. this has been bugging me...

4. Jul 12, 2011 #3

Have you seen integrating factors yet? That whole method is based on the idea of multiplying the equation by a function to put it in a 'nice' form. When you have an equation M(x,y)dx + N(x,y)dy=0, multiplying by anything is going to change the derivatives. It's very likely that it will change the partial derivatives of M and N in different ways, which may or may not help you make the equation into an exact equation. For example, if I multiply the equation by x, that's going to change the x partial derivative of N, but it's not going to change the y partial of M.

5. Jul 12, 2011 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Notice that, d(xy) = x.dy + y.dx .

Also, d(y/x) = (xdy - ydx)/x2

So, you can rewrite your equation as: (x2 + y2)d(xy) + x2(d(y/x)) = 0

This suggests that you let u = xy and v = x/y.

Can you take it from here?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook