1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential Equation (Homogeneous / scale-invariant

1. Mar 17, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Test the following equation to show that they are scale invariant. Find their general solutions (It is not necessary to do the anti-derivative.)

I believe what my tutorial wants me to do is to check for homogeneity. I'm not sure though. This is not a Differential equations class, it is a math methods in physics class. The tutorial we use titles this section "Scale-invariant first-order differential equations".

3. The attempt at a solution

First I make the following substitutions:

[tex] x=\alpha{x}[/tex]

[tex] y=\alpha^{n}x[/tex]

I then use the substitutions in the DiffEq and solve for n so that the weight of each term is equal. I find that:

Based off that, I now make the following substitution:

[tex] y=v\sqrt{x}[/tex]

From there things begin to get messy. I am unsure about 1 step so far: I am not sure what dy equates to. In the case that n=1, dy = vdx+xdv. I am not sure how to get dy using n=1/2.

Is it:

[tex]dy= vdx+{\sqrt{x}}dv[/tex]

[tex]dy= \frac{v}{2\sqrt{x}}+{\sqrt{x}dv[/tex]

Or something else completely?

I guess I am asking what is dx in the equations above? Is it the derivative of x^1/2 or is it just dx?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2010 #2
    So it was something else completely. It is:

[tex] dy = \frac{v}{2\sqrt{x}}dx+{\sqrt{x}dv[/tex]

I think I misunderstood basic differentiation notation.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook