1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential Equation substitute-to-make-seperable question

1. Sep 24, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Problem #7 in this old exam: http://math.njit.edu/pdfs/222ex1.pdf

... note: i didnt care about getting the IVP solvied... this is just practice and getting the general solution was all i cared about doing

2. The attempt at a solution
    http://wolfsfiles.googlepages.com/scan.jpg

I think i confirmed my answer in a cas. But my confussion is if i plug the original differential equation, without making that substitution, that i get a differant general solution... and i'm not entirely sure if thats to be expected.

In short, is my answer correct :P

3. Quick question about a differant problem
    Problem #3-A on that old exam:
    "(d/dx)[sec(x)y]=x ...get general solution"

should the left side be expanded first, and then work the problem, or am i not seeing some easy way to seperate this thing right away.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2007 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Well when i did the first one I eventually got

[tex]\frac{1}{2x}v' = \frac{v^2+1}{v}[/tex]

and I believe it was because of this step

[tex]y=vx[/tex] so [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=x\frac{dv}{dx} + v [/tex]

you missed out the extra v and put 0 instead

and for [tex]\frac{d}{dx}{[sec(x)y]=x [/tex]

I think they are telling you that the differential of sec(x)y w.r.t x is equal to x....so you can just integrate both sides w.r.t x

4. Sep 25, 2007 #3
    Thanks for the help. Teacher confirmed how you did the substitution, but think we got differant answer, or its in a differant form.

From just sub-ing in y = vx the general solution from that was
    v^2 = CX-1, which was de-substituted to become
    (Y/X)^2 = CX - 1 by replacing v with y/x

and y(1) = 1 was the initial condition... ya i know i ddidnt want to do the ivp,, but this is answer anyhoot

gives... C = 2

so exact solution is: (y/x)^2 = 2x -1

so ya my problem was i differentiated wrong... was trying to do partial derivitives but i think the goal was implicit differentation... and it got the respect-to-x from the original differential equation which i didn't realize to do. Thx for the help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?