Differential equation (substitution)

In summary: Both are valid results.In summary, the student has provided a problem statement and explained their attempt at a solution, including visual aids. They received a poor grade and are seeking help in understanding their mistakes. The problem involves using substitution to change a differential equation and finding a solution. The student's solution is correct, but they could have simplified their work by cancelling out terms earlier. They also made a valid move in separating variables, but were concerned about the constant of integration. The expert advises that both forms of the solution are valid.
delsoo

Homework Statement

for this question , i 've got my positive 9 but i got -64 , can anyone tell me which part is wrong?

Question : https://www.flickr.com/photos/123101...3/13907725466/
Wroking : https://www.flickr.com/photos/123101...n/photostream/

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
"flickr: page no found"
Note: The way to get the most out of this site is to write about how you are thinking about the problem - then we can focus on why you lost so many marks and fix that for the future.

And type the equations here instead of graphics on alternate sites.

sorry, i posted at the wrong section, , but i hope you can look at it and help! here's the question and working attached..hope you can help!
can i do it in this way? please refer to the red circled part

if i can't do it in such way, can you please show me how do u get the ans please? thanks in advance!

Attachments

• DSC_0124~3[1].jpg
    DSC_0124~3[1].jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 358
  • DSC_0127~2.jpg
    DSC_0127~2.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 389
  • DSC_0126[1].jpg
    DSC_0126[1].jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 368
Last edited:
Problem statement reads:
Using substitution ##y=Vx##, change the DE $$(x^3+xy^2)\frac{dy}{dx}=y^3+yx^2$$... to $$x\frac{dV}{dx}=\frac{-2V}{1+V^2}$$... and show that the solution is $$\ln\left|\frac{xy}{2}\right| = \frac{(x-2y)(x+2y)}{8x^2}$$ is ##x=2## when ##y=1##.

Good grief!

Well the first part comes from making the sub and then a bit of algebra.
You could have canceled the x^3 out much earlier than you did (like your 3rd line).
But you made it - well done.

For the next bit you basically started with separation of variables: $$\int \frac{dx}{x} =\int \frac{1+V^2}{-2V}dV$$... then you wrote:$$-2\int \frac{\frac{1}{2}dx}{\frac{1}{2}x} =\int \frac{1+V^2}{V}dV$$... which is the bit in red. It's a legal move.
You seem concerned that $$\int \frac{\frac{1}{2}dx}{\frac{1}{2}x}=\ln\left|\frac{1}{2}x\right|+c$$ ##\qquad\qquad## ... instead of ##\ln|x|## but this is fine.

Recall: ##\ln|\frac{1}{2}x|## differs from ##\ln|x|## by a constant that gets hidden in that "+c" on the end.

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is used to model various physical phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What is substitution in differential equations?

Substitution in differential equations is a method used to solve equations by substituting a new variable for the original variable. This can simplify the equation and make it easier to solve.

3. How do you perform substitution in a differential equation?

To perform substitution in a differential equation, you need to choose a new variable and substitute it for the original variable in the equation. Then, solve the resulting equation for the new variable and substitute it back into the original equation to find the solution.

4. When should substitution be used in differential equations?

Substitution is most useful in solving differential equations when the original equation is difficult to solve or involves complex functions. It can also be used to transform certain types of differential equations into more manageable forms.

5. What are the benefits of using substitution in differential equations?

Substitution allows for easier manipulation and solution of differential equations, particularly when the original equation is complex. It can also help to identify patterns and relationships within the equation, leading to a deeper understanding of the problem being modeled.