1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential equation (substitution)

1. Apr 18, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

for this question , i 've got my positive 9 but i got -64 , can anyone tell me which part is wrong?

Question : https://www.flickr.com/photos/123101...3/13907725466/ [Broken]
    Wroking : https://www.flickr.com/photos/123101...n/photostream/ [Broken]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

"flickr: page no found"
    Note: The way to get the most out of this site is to write about how you are thinking about the problem - then we can focus on why you lost so many marks and fix that for the future.

4. Apr 18, 2014 #3

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

And type the equations here instead of graphics on alternate sites.

5. Apr 19, 2014 #4
    sorry, i posted at the wrong section, , but i hope you can look at it and help! here's the question and working attached..hope you can help!
    can i do it in this way? please refer to the red circled part

if i cant do it in such way, can you please show me how do u get the ans please? thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  6. Apr 19, 2014 #5

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Problem statement reads:
    Using substitution ##y=Vx##, change the DE $$(x^3+xy^2)\frac{dy}{dx}=y^3+yx^2$$... to $$x\frac{dV}{dx}=\frac{-2V}{1+V^2}$$... and show that the solution is $$\ln\left|\frac{xy}{2}\right| = \frac{(x-2y)(x+2y)}{8x^2}$$ is ##x=2## when ##y=1##.

Good grief!

Well the first part comes from making the sub and then a bit of algebra.
    You could have cancelled the x^3 out much earlier than you did (like your 3rd line).
    But you made it - well done.

For the next bit you basically started with separation of variables: $$\int \frac{dx}{x} =\int \frac{1+V^2}{-2V}dV$$... then you wrote:$$-2\int \frac{\frac{1}{2}dx}{\frac{1}{2}x} =\int \frac{1+V^2}{V}dV$$... which is the bit in red. It's a legal move.
    You seem concerned that $$\int \frac{\frac{1}{2}dx}{\frac{1}{2}x}=\ln\left|\frac{1}{2}x\right|+c$$ ##\qquad\qquad## ... instead of ##\ln|x|## but this is fine.

Recall: ##\ln|\frac{1}{2}x|## differs from ##\ln|x|## by a constant that gets hidden in that "+c" on the end.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted