1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential Equations in Matrices

1. Feb 16, 2013 #1
    Capture-2_zps0f870620.jpg

I realize that Δ(s) is the cross product of the matrix on the left, but how did the solutions manual get the matrix on the far right multiplied by R_1(s) and R_2(s)? I need those matrix values to do the rest of the problem. Any help is appreciated, thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2013 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

They multiplied both sides of the first equation by the inverse of the matrix on the left to solve for ##Y_1(s)## and ##Y_2(s)##.

4. Feb 16, 2013 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think Delta (s) is technically the determinant of the left most s matrix, rather than the cross product.

5. Feb 17, 2013 #4
    I still don't see how they did it, sorry.

6. Feb 17, 2013 #5

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Do you know how to find the inverse of$$
    \begin{bmatrix}
    s(s+2) & 3\\
    3s+1 & s^2-1

\end{bmatrix}$$If so, do that first. Then multiply it on the left of$$
    \begin{bmatrix}
    1 & 1\\
    s & 1
    \end{bmatrix}$$and see if that helps you.

7. Feb 18, 2013 #6
    yup, thank you LCKurtz. That was the obvious answer. Now that I have a TI-nspire CAS, I can just type it in and it comes out

8. Feb 18, 2013 #7

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You don't need a calculator for this. Sometimes a calculator hinders learning.

9. Feb 18, 2013 #8
    True, but that new CAS is awesome. I did the math by hand eventually, after many, many google searches on the right steps to take

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook