Differential Equations in Matrices

In summary, the solution manual multiplied both sides of the first equation by the inverse of the s matrix on the left to solve for ##Y_1(s)## and ##Y_2(s)##. The value of Δ(s) is the determinant of the leftmost s matrix. To find the inverse of the s matrix, you can multiply it on the left of the given matrix and use a calculator if needed. However, it is recommended to solve the problem by hand to better understand the steps.
Xinthose
Capture-2_zps0f870620.jpg

I realize that Δ(s) is the cross product of the matrix on the left, but how did the solutions manual get the matrix on the far right multiplied by R_1(s) and R_2(s)? I need those matrix values to do the rest of the problem. Any help is appreciated, thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Xinthose said:
Capture-2_zps0f870620.jpg

I realize that Δ(s) is the cross product of the matrix on the left, but how did the solutions manual get the matrix on the far right multiplied by R_1(s) and R_2(s)? I need those matrix values to do the rest of the problem. Any help is appreciated, thank you.

They multiplied both sides of the first equation by the inverse of the matrix on the left to solve for ##Y_1(s)## and ##Y_2(s)##.

I think Delta (s) is technically the determinant of the left most s matrix, rather than the cross product.

I still don't see how they did it, sorry.

Xinthose said:
I still don't see how they did it, sorry.

Do you know how to find the inverse of$$
\begin{bmatrix}
s(s+2) & 3\\
3s+1 & s^2-1

\end{bmatrix}$$If so, do that first. Then multiply it on the left of$$
\begin{bmatrix}
1 & 1\\
s & 1
\end{bmatrix}$$and see if that helps you.

yup, thank you LCKurtz. That was the obvious answer. Now that I have a TI-nspire CAS, I can just type it in and it comes out

You don't need a calculator for this. Sometimes a calculator hinders learning.

True, but that new CAS is awesome. I did the math by hand eventually, after many, many google searches on the right steps to take

1. What are differential equations in matrices?

Differential equations in matrices are systems of equations that involve both derivatives and matrices. They are used to model a variety of phenomena in physics, engineering, and other fields.

2. How are differential equations solved using matrices?

To solve a system of differential equations using matrices, the equations are first rewritten in matrix form. Then, the matrix is manipulated using techniques such as row operations and matrix inversion to solve for the variables.

3. What are the applications of differential equations in matrices?

Differential equations in matrices have many applications, including modeling the motion of objects, analyzing circuits, and predicting population growth. They are also used in machine learning and data analysis.

4. What is the importance of eigenvalues and eigenvectors in solving differential equations in matrices?

Eigenvalues and eigenvectors play a crucial role in solving systems of differential equations in matrices. They are used to find the general solution of the system, and they also provide information about the behavior of the system over time.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges in using matrices to solve differential equations?

While matrices are a powerful tool for solving differential equations, there are some limitations and challenges. For example, systems with non-constant coefficients or non-linear equations may be difficult to solve using matrices. Additionally, the size of the matrices can become very large for complex systems, making the calculations computationally intensive.