1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential Equations of form y'(x)=f(ax+by+c)

1. Apr 17, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    My professor states that a differential equation of form y'(x)=f(ax+by+c) can be reduced to a separable equation by substituting in v=ax+by+c, but I don't see how.

Edit: more specifically: y'(x)= sqrt(3x -4y +2)

2. Relevant equations
    y'(x)=f(ax+by+c)
    v=ax+by+c

3. The attempt at a solution

If v=ax+by+c, then dv/dx = a + b*dy/dx
    Then dv/dx = a + b*f(v)

But this isn't a separable differential equation... the constant a is in the way.

Edit: more specifically:
    dv/dx = 3 - 4*sqrt(v)

Last edited: Apr 17, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2010 #2
    Does

[tex]\displaystyle\int \frac{dv}{a + bf(v)} = \displaystyle\int dx[/tex]

not work?

4. Apr 17, 2010 #3
    yeah, i was about to post that i'm a moron for not realizing such a solution a few moments ago...

But now I'm stuck on how to solve

[tex]\displaystyle\int \frac{dv}{3 - 4\sqrt{v}} = \displaystyle\int dx[/tex]

5. Apr 17, 2010 #4
    I just solved that particular integral by hand. I don't know if I should give away the method I used yet. It's an easy straightforward one, once you see what to do. No trigonometric substitution or anything like that, obviously.

6. Apr 17, 2010 #5
    I'll give it another shot. If i still can't figure it out in a while, I'll ask again?

Edit:

I think I solved it, but it's a little messy

[tex]
    \displaystyle\int \frac{dv*(3 + 4\sqrt{v})}{9 - 16v} = \displaystyle\int dx
    [/tex]

[tex]
    \displaystyle\frac{-3*\ln{|9-16v|}}{16} + \frac{\sqrt{v}}{2} + c = x
    [/tex]

[tex]
    \displaystyle\ln{|64y - 48x -23|} - \frac{8\sqrt{3x - 4y + 2}}{3} - \frac{16x}{3} + c = 0
    [/tex]

Is this good?

7. Apr 18, 2010 #6
    That method seems a little messy.

[tex]x = \int \frac{dv}{3-4\sqrt{v}} = \int \frac{3+4\sqrt{v}}{9-16v}dv[/tex]

[tex]x = \int \frac{3}{9-16v}dv + 4 \int \frac{\sqrt{v}}{9-16v}dv[/tex]

[tex]x = - \frac{3}{16}\ln|9-16v| + 4 \int \frac{\sqrt{v}}{9-16v}dv[/tex]

I fear the second integral is not equal to sqrt(v)/2.

My suggestion would have been to use the substitution u = sqrt(v), then the integral becomes

[tex]x = \int \frac{2u}{3-4u}du[/tex]

which is the same as

[tex]x = \int \left( - \frac{1}{2} + \frac{3/2}{3-4u}\right) du[/tex]

I think. Might want to double check the division.

8. Apr 18, 2010 #7
    Ahh substitution. It seems obvious now lol thanks.

But can you tell me how you brought the 1/2 out of the last equation to get rid of the extra u? I can see that the last two equations are equivalent, but I don't understand the process. Did you just guess at taking -1/2 out? Or is there some basic rule I'm forgetting? On another problem right now i need to get the integral of (2u + 1)du/(5u + 5). Would the same steps apply there?

Edit: Scratch helping me solve (2u + 1)du/(5u +5), I figured it out using the same method you showed me. Still, could you tell me if that process has a name? I don't feel like I've ever been taught it before. Or is it just supposed to be obvious to the student?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2010
  9. Apr 18, 2010 #8
  10. Apr 18, 2010 #9
    Cheers

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook