Differential Equations. Solve in two ways.

In summary, the conversation discusses solving the equation y''=1+(y')2 in two different ways, using integration and reduction of order. The first method is correct and yields the solution y=-ln(cos(x+c))+d, while the second method gives the solution y' = tan (y - c) and requires finding the inverse function Q(y). The correct solution for the second method is -ln(cos(c-y))+d.
Gummy Bear

Homework Statement

Solve y''=1+(y')2 in two ways, for x is missing and y is missing.

Homework Equations

Integration, and reduction of order.

The Attempt at a Solution

First method: (this is correct)
y''=1+(y')2 let y'=p and y''=p'
p'=1+p2
p'/(1+p2)=1
∫p'/(1+p2)dx=∫1dx
arctan(p)=x+c
solve for p: p=tan(x+c)
Substitute back for p=y'
y'=tan(x+c)
y=-ln(cos(x+c))+d

Second method: (I can't get it to come out as same answer from first method)
y''=1+(y')2 let y'=p and y''=p*(dp/dy)
p*(dp/dy)=1+p2

From here I can already tell I'm not going to get y=-ln(cos(x+c))+d but this is the method I am told to use..

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The second method will give you some P(p) = P(y') = y. So you have reduced the order. Then you transform it to y' = Q(y) and solve that.

I'm not following. What do you mean by P(p)=P(y')=y? And transforming it?

The second method will have dp/dy R(p) = 1. Integrated, that becomes P(p) = y, which means P(y') = y. This is a differential equation. To solve it, you need to find Q(y) that is the inverse of P(p), then Q(P(y')) = y' = Q(y).

Could you show me what it would look like?

For example, my first equation looks like p'=1+p2 after reduction of order.

Because I'm not sure where these R's and Q's are coming from. I know that typically in the second method y'=p and y''=p*(dp/dy)

## p' = 1 + p^2 \Rightarrow R(p) = \frac 1 {1 + p^2} \Rightarrow P(p) = \int R(p) dp ##

Doesn't this give y=∫1/(1+p2)dp=arctan(p)+c

The way I understood it is that both methods should get you the same answer.

I know that the answer should be -ln(cos(x+c))+d

arctan p + C = P(p). Now you need the inverse function Q(y).

This makes no sense. The inverse is -tan(c-p)

Again. You have integrated dp/dy R(p) = 1. That gave you P(p) = y. P(p) = arctan p + c. You then obtain p = Q(y). Q(y) is tan (y - c). Since p = y', you get y' = p = tan (y - c). Integrate it.

-ln(cos(c-y))+d That's what I keep getting. Maybe that's right, I just assumed the answer was supposed to be -ln(cos(x+c))+d

That's because you made a mistake. It must be R(p) = p/(1 + p^2), not 1/(1 + p^2).

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves an unknown function and its derivatives. It describes a relationship between the rate of change of a quantity and the quantity itself.

2. Why do we need to solve differential equations in two ways?

Solving a differential equation in two different ways helps to verify the solution and gain a deeper understanding of the problem at hand. It also allows for a more comprehensive analysis of the behavior of the system described by the differential equation.

3. What are the two methods for solving differential equations?

The two main methods for solving differential equations are analytical and numerical methods. Analytical methods involve finding an exact solution using algebraic manipulations and mathematical techniques. Numerical methods use numerical algorithms to approximate the solution of a differential equation.

4. How do you solve a differential equation analytically?

To solve a differential equation analytically, you must first determine the type of differential equation (e.g. first-order, second-order, etc.) and then use appropriate techniques such as separation of variables, integrating factors, or substitution to find the solution.

5. What is the importance of differential equations in science?

Differential equations are used to model and describe a wide range of physical phenomena in science and engineering. They provide a powerful tool for understanding and predicting the behavior of complex systems, such as population dynamics, fluid mechanics, and electrical circuits.