1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential Equations. Solve in two ways.

1. Sep 13, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Solve y''=1+(y')2 in two ways, for x is missing and y is missing.

2. Relevant equations

Integration, and reduction of order.

3. The attempt at a solution

First method: (this is correct)
    y''=1+(y')2 let y'=p and y''=p'
    p'=1+p2
    p'/(1+p2)=1
    ∫p'/(1+p2)dx=∫1dx
    arctan(p)=x+c
    solve for p: p=tan(x+c)
    Substitute back for p=y'
    y'=tan(x+c)
    y=-ln(cos(x+c))+d

Second method: (I can't get it to come out as same answer from first method)
    y''=1+(y')2 let y'=p and y''=p*(dp/dy)
    p*(dp/dy)=1+p2

From here I can already tell i'm not going to get y=-ln(cos(x+c))+d but this is the method I am told to use..

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2012 #2
    The second method will give you some P(p) = P(y') = y. So you have reduced the order. Then you transform it to y' = Q(y) and solve that.

4. Sep 14, 2012 #3
    I'm not following. What do you mean by P(p)=P(y')=y? And transforming it?

5. Sep 14, 2012 #4
    The second method will have dp/dy R(p) = 1. Integrated, that becomes P(p) = y, which means P(y') = y. This is a differential equation. To solve it, you need to find Q(y) that is the inverse of P(p), then Q(P(y')) = y' = Q(y).

6. Sep 14, 2012 #5
    Could you show me what it would look like?

For example, my first equation looks like p'=1+p2 after reduction of order.

7. Sep 14, 2012 #6
    Because I'm not sure where these R's and Q's are coming from. I know that typically in the second method y'=p and y''=p*(dp/dy)

8. Sep 14, 2012 #7
    ## p' = 1 + p^2 \Rightarrow R(p) = \frac 1 {1 + p^2} \Rightarrow P(p) = \int R(p) dp ##

9. Sep 14, 2012 #8
    Doesn't this give y=∫1/(1+p2)dp=arctan(p)+c

The way I understood it is that both methods should get you the same answer.

I know that the answer should be -ln(cos(x+c))+d

10. Sep 14, 2012 #9
    arctan p + C = P(p). Now you need the inverse function Q(y).

11. Sep 14, 2012 #10
    This makes no sense. The inverse is -tan(c-p)

12. Sep 14, 2012 #11
    Again. You have integrated dp/dy R(p) = 1. That gave you P(p) = y. P(p) = arctan p + c. You then obtain p = Q(y). Q(y) is tan (y - c). Since p = y', you get y' = p = tan (y - c). Integrate it.

13. Sep 14, 2012 #12
    -ln(cos(c-y))+d That's what I keep getting. Maybe that's right, I just assumed the answer was supposed to be -ln(cos(x+c))+d

14. Sep 14, 2012 #13
    That's because you made a mistake. It must be R(p) = p/(1 + p^2), not 1/(1 + p^2).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook