Differential geometry - strange formula

In summary, the conversation discusses the book "wstęp do współczesnej geometrii różniczkowej" by Konstanty Radziszewski, which deals with modern differential geometry. It includes formulas and notations such as the Kronecker delta and the metric tensor, which are used to represent concepts such as the identity matrix and scalar multiplication of vectors. The conversation also touches on the use of subscripts and superscripts in these formulas.
player1_1_1
heeello friends!;]
i have book "wstęp do współczesnej geometrii różniczkowej" written by Konstanty Radziszewski, this title in english mean something like... "basics of modern differential geometry", and here are many formulas which look similar to one another, but I never know what it means and sometimes its difficult to understand this, examples:
[tex]A^{i^\prime}_iA^j_{i^\prime}=\delta^i_j[/tex]
what this delta means? here is written that its 1 when i=j and 0 when [tex]i\neq j[/tex], but I don't know what it means, this multiplication value is just 1 or 0 depending on this value?
next problem:) I have formula for skalar multiplication of two vectors: [tex]\partial\mbox{x}(u)=\mbox{x}_i(u)\partial u_x^i,\quad\delta\mbox{x}(u)=\mbox{x}_i(u)\delta u_x^i[/tex]
and the formula:
[tex]\partial\mbox{x}(u)\delta\mbox{x}(u)=\mbox{x}_i(u)\mbox{x}_j(u)\partial u_x^i\delta u_x^j=g_{ij}(u)\partial u_x^i\delta u_x^j[/tex]
why in upper equation there is "i" in upper index, and then suddenly "j" in next formula? what happened after last equation? why there is suddenly [tex]g_{ij}(u)[/tex] instead of [tex]\mbox{x}_i(u)\mbox{x}_j(u)[/tex]? what it means?
thanks for answer mathematicians;]

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm relatively new to these ideas myself, and don't know what all of the notation means, but perhaps this answers part of your question. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me can give you a better and more thorough explanation than I can.

You can think of [itex]\delta^i_j[/itex] (called "Kronecker's delta" or "the Kronecker delta") as the entries of the identity matrix, if you treat the upper index as the indicating the row, and the lower index as indicating the column: the nxn matrix with 1 for each entry of its main diagonal, and zeros everywhere else, where n is how many values an index can take. So for n = 3,

[tex]\begin{bmatrix}
1 & 0 & 0\\
0 & 1 & 0\\
0 & 0 & 1
\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

If i = j (row 1, column 1; row 2, column 2; row 3, column 3), then the entry is 1, otherwise it's zero (row 1, column 2, etc.).

For example, if i can be 1 or 2, then n = 2, and

[tex]A^i\enspace_k B^k\enspace_j = \delta^i_j[/tex]

would stand for a set of n2 = 4 equations:

[tex]\sum_{k=1}^{2} A^1\enspace_k B^k\enspace_1 = \delta^1_1[/tex]

[tex]\sum_{k=1}^{2} A^1\enspace_k B^k\enspace_2 = \delta^1_2[/tex]

[tex]\sum_{k=1}^{2} A^2\enspace_k B^k\enspace_1 = \delta^2_1[/tex]

[tex]\sum_{k=1}^{2} A^2\enspace_k B^k\enspace_2 = \delta^1_2[/tex]

which we can express more neatly as a single matrix equation

[tex]AB = I = \begin{bmatrix}
1 & 0\\
0 & 1
\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

where [itex]I[/itex] is the identity matrix.

[itex]g_{ij}[/itex] is called the metric tensor. If a and b are vectors, with components [itex]a^i = \left( a^1, a^2, ..., a^n \right) [/itex], and [itex]b^j = \left( b^1,b^2,...,b^n \right)[/itex], then their scalar product is

[tex]g_{ij}a^ib^j = a_jb^j = a^ib_i[/tex]

which is just a quick way of writing

[tex]\sum_{i=1}^{n} \sum_{j=1}^{n} g_{ij}a^i b^j.[/tex]

What is differential geometry?

Differential geometry is a branch of mathematics that studies the geometry of curved spaces using calculus and linear algebra.

What are some applications of differential geometry?

Differential geometry is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics to model and analyze objects and phenomena in space. It also plays a crucial role in the theory of relativity and in understanding the shape of the universe.

What are some basic concepts in differential geometry?

Some basic concepts in differential geometry include manifolds, tensors, curves, and surfaces. These concepts are used to describe and study the properties of curved spaces.

What is the significance of the "strange formula" in differential geometry?

The "strange formula" refers to the Gauss-Bonnet theorem, which relates the curvature of a surface to its topology. This theorem has many applications in physics and is considered one of the most elegant and powerful results in differential geometry.

Is differential geometry a difficult subject to learn?

Like any branch of mathematics, differential geometry can be challenging to learn. However, with dedication and practice, it can be understood and applied effectively. It is a fascinating subject that offers insights into the structure of our universe.