1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differentiate y=\ln(e^{-x} + xe^{-x})

1. Jul 29, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[tex]y=\ln(e^{-x} + xe^{-x})[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    - Logarithmic differentiation?

3. The attempt at a solution
    Here goes:

[tex]y=\ln(e^{-x} + xe^{-x})[/tex]

[tex]y'=\frac{e^{-x} + (x\frac{d}{dx}e^{-x}+e^{-x}\frac{d}{dx}x)}{e^{-x}+xe^{-x}})[/tex]

I must be missing something huge here because the book's solution is

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2008 #2
    Ok I looked at this a second time and got a bit further.. I'm still missing the solution though.

4. Jul 29, 2008 #3
    The derivative of e^x is itself, but you have "e^(-x)" which is not itself.
  5. Jul 29, 2008 #4
    You should first try simplifying the initial equation (common factoring). You can then use the distributive ln properties to make your work easier.
  6. Jul 29, 2008 #5
    Oops.. I assumed that if the derivative of e^x is itself, the x stood as a placeholder for, well, pretty much anything, including -x.

So um.. what does e^(-x) come out to be? Ah wait.. just saw it.

If y = e^(-x), then y' = e^(-x)ln(e)

Hmm.. is that correct? This is the rule for differentiating exponential functions. e IS a constant, so it's valid. Right?
  7. Jul 29, 2008 #6
    y = e^(-x) is then y' = e^(-x) * -1

The reason why you multiply the answer by -1 is that you still have to take the derivative of the exponent. In this case the exponent was -x.

Also you should read my previous post.

Another note you should take into account is that text book answers are always simplified down.
  8. Jul 29, 2008 #7
    Ok I tried the following:

[tex]y'=\ln e^{-x}+\ln(xe^{-x})[/tex]

[tex]-e^{-x}\ln e+\ln x+\ln e^{-x}[/tex]

[tex]-e^{-x}+\ln x-e^{-x}\ln e[/tex]

[tex]-e^{-x}+\ln x-e^{-x}[/tex]

But frankly, I don't know if this is correct. I might have not followed proper rules there :/
  9. Jul 29, 2008 #8
    You misused the Logarithmic property.

[tex]\ln{ab}=\ln a+\ln b[/tex]

[tex]\ln{(a+b)}\neq\ln a+\ln b[/tex]

Your first post is more correct than your recent ones. All you have to do is go back to e^(-x) and put a negative in the front.
  10. Jul 29, 2008 #9
    Got it! Thanks for the tip :)

[tex]y'=\frac{e^{-x} + (x\frac{d}{dx}e^{-x}+e^{-x}\frac{d}{dx}x)}{e^{-x}+xe^{-x}})[/tex]

! :)
  11. Sep 16, 2009 #10
    Hi, I know this is kind of old, but I came across this same problem in my book - and I don't get how to get from step a to step b - like this:

y=\ln(e^{-x} + xe^{-x})

y'=\frac{e^{-x} + (x\frac{d}{dx}e^{-x}+e^{-x}\frac{d}{dx}x)}{e^{-x}+xe^{-x}})

can anyone help? What rules are you using to go from the first one to the second one?
    thanks a lot,

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?