Differentiating a definite integral

In summary, the conversation discusses differentiating a definite integral and finding the next step in the process. The speaker mentions using the rule u_t = \frac{\partial u}{\partial t} and asks for help understanding the process. The expert suggests using the fundamental theorem of calculus or the chain rule to solve the problem.
gaganaut
I was reading on a textbook and came across a step and I had no idea how the author got the next step from it. This was basically differentiation of a definite integral.

So here it is.

[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial t}{\int_0^t}{\int_0^1}u_t^2(x,s)dx ds[/tex]

So I figured that [tex]u_t=\frac{\partial u}{\partial t}[/tex]. But isn't there a simple rule to differentiate an integral like this. I can probably get away with just using the final result from the book in my research, but not knowing how I got to it is just something that is bugging me.

So any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the meaning of ut ?
You write u(x,s). Is it a three argument function u(x,s,t) ?

Barring that u depends on t, the fundamental theorem of calculus will just drop the outer integral and replace s with t. Otherwise I think its valid to apply the chain rule in this fashion
[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial t}{\int_0^t}{\int_0^1}u_t^2(x,s)dx ds = }{\int_0^1}u_t^2(x,t)dx + {\int_0^t}{\int_0^1}\frac{\partial}{\partial t}u_t^2(x,s)dx ds[/tex]

What is a definite integral?

A definite integral is a mathematical concept used in calculus that represents the area under a curve between two given points on a graph. It is denoted by ∫ and has a specific upper and lower limit.

How is a definite integral different from an indefinite integral?

While a definite integral has specific upper and lower limits, an indefinite integral does not. An indefinite integral represents a family of functions that differ only by a constant value. In other words, an indefinite integral does not have a specific numerical value like a definite integral does.

What is the process for differentiating a definite integral?

To differentiate a definite integral, you need to use the fundamental theorem of calculus. This involves finding the antiderivative of the integrand, plugging in the upper and lower limits, and then subtracting the two values to find the final result.

Why is differentiating a definite integral important?

Differentiating a definite integral allows us to find the rate of change of the area under a curve. This is useful in many real-world applications, such as calculating velocity, acceleration, or determining the total amount of a substance in a chemical reaction.

Can a definite integral be negative?

Yes, a definite integral can be negative. This can occur when the function being integrated is below the x-axis, resulting in a negative area. The negative sign simply represents the direction of the area below the x-axis.