Differentiating the equation for the mechanical energy of a spring

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
15 replies · 2K views
member 731016
Homework Statement
Please see below
Relevant Equations
## E = \frac {1}{2}mv^2 + \frac {1}{2}kx^2 ##
Why when we differentiate ## E = \frac {1}{2}mv^2 + \frac {1}{2}kx^2 ## with respect to time the answer is ## \frac {dE}{dt} = mva + kxv ##?

I though it would be ##\frac {dE}{dt} = ma + kv ##.

Many thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Callumnc1 said:
Homework Statement:: Please see below
Relevant Equations:: ## E = \frac {1}{2}mv^2 + \frac {1}{2}kx^2 ##

Why when we differentiate ## E = \frac {1}{2}mv^2 + \frac {1}{2}kx^2 ## with respect to time the answer is ## \frac {dE}{dt} = mva + kxv ##?

I though it would be ##\frac {dE}{dt} = ma + kv ##.

Many thanks!
What is the derivative of ##x^2## wrt ##x##?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: member 731016
Chain rule. x and v are functions of t.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: member 731016
The time rate of change in energy is power.

With what you thought it would be the units on the RHS are Force added to Force per unit time. Not only are neither of them power, they are also dimensionally inconsistent with each other.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: member 731016
haruspex said:
What is the derivative of ##x^2## wrt ##x##?
Thank you for your reply @haruspex ! I don't think I've ever taken the derivative of ##x^2## wrt ##x##. I think I've only the derivative of ##y## wrt ##x##. How would I take the derivative?
 
erobz said:
The time rate of change in energy is power.

With what you thought it would be the units on the RHS are Force added to Force per unit time. Not only are neither of them power, they are also dimensionally inconsistent with each other.
Thank you for your reply @erobz !
 
Callumnc1 said:
Thank you for your reply @haruspex ! I don't think I've ever taken the derivative of ##x^2## wrt ##x##. I think I've only the derivative of ##y## wrt ##x##. How would I take the derivative?
You almost certainly have, you just don’t realize it. ##y=x^2##
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: member 731016
erobz said:
You almost certainly have, you just don’t realize it. ##y=x^2##
Thanks for your reply @erobz!

Oh I thought that was taking the derivative of y with respect to x to get ##2x##?
 
Callumnc1 said:
Thanks for your reply @erobz!

Oh I thought that was taking the derivative of y with respect to x to get ##2x##?
That’s correct. Then you apply the chain rule. First differentiate ##y =x^2 ## wrt ##x##, then ##x## wrt ##t##.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: member 731016
erobz said:
That’s correct. Then you apply the chain rule. First differentiate ##y =x^2 ## wrt ##x##, then ##x## wrt ##t##.
Thank you for your reply @erobz! I think it would be ## y = (2x)\frac {dx}{dt} ##
 
Callumnc1 said:
Thank you for your reply @erobz! I think it would be ## y = (2x)\frac {dx}{dt} ##
Do you see how it works out?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: member 731016
Callumnc1 said:
Thank you for your reply @erobz! I think it would be ## y = (2x)\frac {dx}{dt} ##
Not quite. You must do the same to each side of an equation.
The derivative of y wrt x is ##\frac{dy}{dx}##.
The derivative of ##x^2## wrt x is ##\frac{d(x^2)}{dx}=2x##.
So differentiating both sides of ##y=x^2## wrt x gives
##\frac{dy}{dx}=2x##.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: member 731016
haruspex said:
Not quite. You must do the same to each side of an equation.
The derivative of y wrt x is ##\frac{dy}{dx}##.
The derivative of ##x^2## wrt x is ##\frac{d(x^2)}{dx}=2x##.
So differentiating both sides of ##y=x^2## wrt x gives
##\frac{dy}{dx}=x^2##.
last line typo:

$$ \frac{dy}{dx}= 2x $$
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: member 731016 and haruspex
haruspex said:
Not quite. You must do the same to each side of an equation.
The derivative of y wrt x is ##\frac{dy}{dx}##.
The derivative of ##x^2## wrt x is ##\frac{d(x^2)}{dx}=2x##.
So differentiating both sides of ##y=x^2## wrt x gives
##\frac{dy}{dx}=2x##.
Thank you for your replies @erobz and haruspex! Sorry, that was a silly mistake I should not have made!