Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differentiation in spherical coordinates.

1. Dec 11, 2013 #1
    1) If [itex]u(r,\theta,\phi)=\frac{1}{r}[/itex], is [itex]\frac{\partial{u}}{\partial {\theta}}=\frac{\partial{u}}{\partial {\phi}}=0[/itex] because [itex]u[/itex] is independent of [itex]\theta[/itex] and[itex] \;\phi[/itex]?

2) If [itex]u(r,\theta,\phi)=\frac{1}{r}[/itex], is:
    [tex]\nabla^2u(r,\theta,\phi)=\frac{\partial^2{u}}{\partial {r}^2}+\frac{2}{r}\frac{\partial{u}}{\partial {r}}+\frac{1}{r^2}\frac{\partial^2{u}}{\partial {\theta}^2}+\frac{\cot\theta}{r^2}\frac{\partial{u}}{\partial {\theta}}+\frac{1}{r^2\sin\theta}\frac{\partial^2{u}}{\partial {\phi}^2}=\frac{\partial^2{u}}{\partial {r}^2}+\frac{2}{r}\frac{\partial{u}}{\partial {r}}=0[/tex]

Because [itex]\frac{\partial{u}}{\partial {\theta}}=\frac{\partial{u}}{\partial {\phi}}=0[/itex].

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2013 #2

jasonRF

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yep.
    Hint: what is the electrostatic potential of a point charge? What is the charge density of a point charge?

EDIT: hint: Poisson's equation

jason

4. Dec 11, 2013 #3

jasonRF

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I guess I should add: your result for question 2 is completely correct as long as r is not zero. But for the kinds of applications I know you care about you will want to care about what happens at zero.

5. Dec 11, 2013 #4
    Thank you Jason, I know I can count on you. Yes, I forgot to specify [itex]r>0[/itex].

6. Dec 11, 2013 #5

jasonRF

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I didn't really think about whether you stated r>0; I am just thinking about how [itex]\nabla^2 \frac{1}{r}[/itex] is proportional to [itex]\delta(r)[/itex], which is of course zero away from r=0, as you say. But for E&M the delta function is key.

Jason

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook