1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differentiation of a Piecewise Function

1. Jul 27, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have a graph of velocity vs time and was asked
    "Describe how the velocity changes over the time interval of the problem"
    how do I do this all I have is the graph that is not defined by a function... well I can make my own strangely all it is is a bunch of linear lines put together that looks like this
    .._
    /...\

sort of like a hill were it dy/dx is positive and constant for bit then is zero for a while then becomes negative so I wanted to find the second derivative of this, acceleration, not exactly sure how to do this with a piecewise funciton this is what it is now? I have to come up with the derivative of each part and then what should i do to come up with the derivitive of the whole graph

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2010 #2

Char. Limit

Gold Member

Plot the derivatives of each part on the graph. It may not be continuous, but it is a piecewise derivative. Can't expect continuity.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook