Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differentiation of an exponential with operators (Peskin p.84)

1. Jul 23, 2008 #1
    Does anyone know how to differentiate an exponential, which has an operator in its power? I found it quite a trouble in Peskin's QFT (page 84, formulas (4.17), (4.18)).
    Here we have these two formulas of Peskin:

[tex]U\left( t,t_{0}\right)=e^{iH_{0}\left( t-t_{0}\right) }e^{-iH\left( t-t_{0}\right) } [/tex];
    [tex]i\frac{\partial}{\partial t}U\left( t,t_{0}\right)=e^{iH_{0}\left( t-t_{0}\right) }\left( H-H_{0}\right) e^{-iH\left( t-t_{0}\right) } [/tex].

I agree with this. However, if we write [tex]U\left( t,t_{0}\right)[/tex] as [tex]U\left( t,t_{0}\right)=e^{i\left( H_{0}-H\right) \left( t-t_{0}\right) }[/tex], then

[tex]i\frac{\partial}{\partial t}U\left( t,t_{0}\right)=\left( H-H_{0}\right)e^{i\left( H_{0}-H\right) \left( t-t_{0}\right) }[/tex]

and we cannot transport [tex]e^{iH_{0}\left( t-t_{0}\right) }[/tex] to the left of [tex]\left( H-H_{0}\right)[/tex] so easily to obtain Peskin's result, since, according to my calculations, [tex]\left[ H,H_{0}\right]\neq0[/tex]. Do we have a rule, which explains where to put the operators from the exponential after differentiation, when we have several noncummuting operators in the power of exponential?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

But you can't write this since H and H_0 don't commute. [tex] e^A e^B = e^{A+B} [/tex] only when A and B commute. Otherwise you have to use the Campbell-Hausdorf formula.
    You just differentiate as usual, making sure that you never pass an operator "through" another operator that does not commute with it.
  4. Jul 23, 2008 #3
    Thanks a lot! This has been tormenting me for ages!
  5. Jul 23, 2008 #4
    Thank you, nrqed, for pointing out my mistake. I appreciate it :)
  6. Jul 23, 2008 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

:smile: You are very very welcome.

And thank you for posting your question since this apparently helped Wasia too!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?