Differentiation with respect vector

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of differentiation and integration with respect to vectors. The speaker has discovered that df/dt is equal to the gradient of a function multiplied by the derivative of the vector, and that integration with respect to vector can be formalized using the inverse gradient operator. They also suggest the possibility of differentiating and integrating vectors using the basis of Cartesian coordinates.
Jhenrique
Helow!

For a long time I aks me if exist differentiation/integration with respect to vector and I think that today I discovered the answer! Given:
[tex]f(\vec{r}(t))[/tex]
So, df/dt is:
[tex]\bigtriangledown f\cdot D\vec{r}[/tex]
But, df/dt is:
[tex]\frac{df}{d\vec{r}}\cdot \frac{d\vec{r}}{dt}[/tex]
This means that:
[tex]\frac{d\vec{r}}{dt}=D\vec{r}[/tex]
and:
[tex]\frac{df}{d\vec{r}}=\bigtriangledown f[/tex]

So, analogously, the integration with respect to vector is:
[tex]\int f\;d\vec{r}=\bigtriangledown ^{-1}f[/tex]

What make I think that:
[tex]\frac{\mathrm{d} }{\mathrm{d} \vec{r}}=\bigtriangledown[/tex]

Then, would be possible to formalize the differintegration of vector with respect to vector too by:
[tex]\bigtriangledown \cdot \vec{f},\;\;\;\bigtriangledown \times \vec{f},\;\;\;\bigtriangledown^{-1} \cdot \vec{f}\;\;\;and\;\;\;\bigtriangledown^{-1} \times \vec{f}[/tex]

What you think about all this?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It may make more sense of you expand \vec r in a basis - say: Cartesian.
See which ideas make sense.

But you can differentiate and integrate vectors - look up vector-valued functions for instance.

1. What is differentiation with respect to a vector?

Differentiation with respect to a vector is a mathematical process used to find the rate of change of a function with respect to a vector variable. It is similar to regular differentiation, but instead of finding the rate of change with respect to a single variable, it finds the rate of change with respect to a vector.

2. How is differentiation with respect to a vector different from regular differentiation?

Differentiation with respect to a vector involves finding the partial derivatives of a function with respect to each component of the vector. This is different from regular differentiation, which only involves finding the derivative with respect to a single variable.

3. What is the purpose of differentiation with respect to a vector?

The purpose of differentiation with respect to a vector is to find the rate of change of a function in a specific direction. This can be useful in many fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics, to analyze how a system changes in response to different inputs or variables.

4. Can differentiation with respect to a vector be applied to any type of function?

Yes, differentiation with respect to a vector can be applied to any type of function, as long as the function is defined in terms of a vector variable. This includes functions with multiple variables, such as multivariable calculus and vector calculus.

5. Are there any real-world applications of differentiation with respect to a vector?

Yes, differentiation with respect to a vector has many real-world applications. It is commonly used in physics to analyze the motion of objects in multiple dimensions, in economics to model production and consumption in multiple markets, and in engineering to optimize systems with multiple variables.