1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Difficult analysis problem involve supremum and function concepts

1. Nov 3, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

f(a) > c > f(b)

A = { x : b > x > y > a implies f(a) > f(y) }

let u = sup(A)

show that f(u) = c

2. Relevant equations

I have no idea in particular, save for the definition of the supremum:
    [tex]\forall x \in A x \le u[/tex]
    if [tex]v[/tex] is an upper bound of A, then [tex]u \le v[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

My intuition led me to attempt a proof by contradiction. If you let f(x*) = c, assume that x* < u to arrive at a contradiction. Then assume that x* > u to arrive at a contradiction. Then to conclude that x* must be u. I don't know how to do this, or even if I can/should be done.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2009 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There must be some information missing. What is [itex]c[/itex], just some random point between [itex]f(b)[/itex] and [itex]f(a)[/itex]? What is known about [itex]f[/itex]? Is it monotonically decreasing? Is it continuous?

4. Nov 3, 2009 #3
    There is nothing missing from the problem. I guess we can assume that it's continuous. It isn't necessarily a decreasing monotone function. Also, yes, c is any point between f(b) and f(a).

5. Nov 3, 2009 #4

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, if that's the case then it's not true.

Let f(x) = -x for all x.

Let a = 0, b = 1, c = -0.5.

Then A = (0, 1), u = sup(A) = 1, but f(u) does not equal c.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook