Difficult exponential equation

• Thread starter zandria
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exponential
In summary, the conversation revolved around solving an exponential equation for "t", with the equation involving multiple terms and complex numbers. Some suggestions were made, such as factoring out an "e^t" or using an approximation method, but ultimately it was determined that there may not be a straightforward solution for isolating "t" in this specific equation.
zandria
1. I need to solve the following exponential equation for t.

[tex]\frac{1}{20} =0.5 e^{-0.877t} - 0.05 e ^{-9.123t}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
i think you can take the t out and calculate the 0.5e things with eachohter inside parathensis and put the t outside. check my thread Hardest Math Problem EVAR! i had the same problem.

Unfortunately, due to the properties of exponentials, I don't think I can take the t out. If the exponents of the exponential were sums instead of products, the problem would be much easier and would allow me to factor out an e^t. But I'm not sure how to isolate the t in this specific equation.

Nothing obvious comes to my mind, so you might need to calculate t by an approximation method. For example, using Excel, the exponential expression on the right side of your equation equals .055819 when t is 2.5. The value you want is slightly larger than 2.5, I believe.

Note to EternityMech: There is no such word in English as "evar."

w00t?

1. What is an exponential equation?

An exponential equation is a mathematical expression in which a variable appears as an exponent. It is used to model situations where a quantity grows or decays at a constant rate.

2. How do you solve a difficult exponential equation?

To solve a difficult exponential equation, you can use logarithms, which are the inverse functions of exponentials. You can also use algebraic manipulations, such as factoring and simplifying, to isolate the variable. If the equation is still too difficult to solve, you can use numerical methods, such as graphing or using a calculator, to estimate the solution.

3. What are some real-life applications of difficult exponential equations?

Difficult exponential equations are used in many fields of science, including physics, chemistry, and biology. They are used to model population growth, radioactive decay, compound interest, and many other natural phenomena.

4. What are some common mistakes when solving difficult exponential equations?

One common mistake is forgetting to apply the correct order of operations when solving the equation. Another mistake is not recognizing when to use logarithms or other methods to simplify the equation. It is also important to be careful with negative exponents and to check all solutions for extraneous solutions.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving difficult exponential equations?

To improve your skills in solving difficult exponential equations, practice is key. Start with simpler problems and gradually work your way up to more difficult ones. Familiarize yourself with the properties of exponents and logarithms, and make sure to carefully check your work. You can also seek help from a math tutor or online resources to improve your understanding of the concepts and techniques used in solving exponential equations.