What is the Exponential Growth Rate of Cells under a Microscope?

In summary: I'm going to bed. It's late.Thanks Ray. Anyway, it's a good thing he left because I summed the geometric progression incorrectly anyway. I should have solved:$$\frac{r(r^7-1)}{r-1}=140$$Oh well. I'm going to bed. It's late.
iScience

Homework Statement

There are initially two cells seen through a microscope. every hour, a computer was tasked with taking a cell count through the microscope. Taking the sum of all the cell counts after the 7th hour, the total cell count was 280 cells. Find the exponential growth rate.

Homework Equations

$$P = P_0\sum_{t = 1}^{7}{e^{kt}}$$
$$P_0 = 2$$

The Attempt at a Solution

$$2\sum_{t=1}^{7}e^{kt} = P$$
$$\sum_{t=1}^{7}e^{kt} = 280/2$$
$$ln(140) = \sum_{t=1}^{7}(kt) = k(\sum_{t=1}^{7}t) = k*(28)$$
$$k = \frac{ln(140)}{28}$$
$$ k = 0.176487$$

if you plug this into the original equation:

$$P_0\sum_{t = i}^{7}{e^{0.176487t}}$$
this sum from 1 to 7 does not equal my final P value, what am i missing??

Physics news on Phys.org
The log of a sum is not the sum of the logs. You need to sum the series first.

iScience said:

Homework Statement

There are initially two cells seen through a microscope. every hour, a computer was tasked with taking a cell count through the microscope. Taking the sum of all the cell counts after the 7th hour, the total cell count was 280 cells. Find the exponential growth rate.

Homework Equations

$$P = P_0\sum_{t = 1}^{7}{e^{kt}}$$ $$P_0 = 2$$

[/B]$$2\sum_{t=1}^{7}e^{kt} = P$$ $$\sum_{t=1}^{7}e^{kt} = 280/2$$ $$ln(140) = \sum_{t=1}^{7}(kt) = k(\sum_{t=1}^{7}t) = k*(28)$$ $$k = \frac{ln(140)}{28}$$ $$ k = 0.176487$$
The first "Relevant Equation" ##\displaystyle \ P = P_0\sum_{t = 1}^{7}{e^{kt}} \ ## is incorrect for exponential growth.

It's ##\displaystyle \ P(t) = P_0\ e^{kt} \ ##

SammyS said:
The first "Relevant Equation" ##\displaystyle \ P = P_0\sum_{t = 1}^{7}{e^{kt}} \ ## is incorrect for exponential growth.

It's ##\displaystyle \ P(t) = P_0\ e^{kt} \ ##
I believe iScience is using P for the cumulative total of observations, not the population at a time step.

Likes iScience
iScience said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

$$P = P_0\sum_{t = 1}^{7}{e^{kt}}$$
$$P_0 = 2$$

$$2\sum_{t=1}^{7}e^{kt} = P$$
$$\sum_{t=1}^{7}e^{kt} = 280/2$$
$$ln(140) = \sum_{t=1}^{7}(kt) = k(\sum_{t=1}^{7}t) = k*(28)$$
$$k = \frac{ln(140)}{28}$$
$$ k = 0.176487$$

As has already been pointed out: you cannot distribute the "log" over the "sum".
Your basic problem is to solve the equation
[tex] 2(r + r^2 + \cdots + r^7) = 280, \; (r = e^k) [/tex]
You can solve for ##r## first, then get ##k## from that. However, solving for ##r## involves solving a 7th degree polynomial (and even doing the 7-term sum first does not help), so you must fall back on graphical/numerical solution methods. There will not be any nice formulas you can apply.

Ray Vickson said:
As has already been pointed out: you cannot distribute the "log" over the "sum".
Your basic problem is to solve the equation
[tex] 2(r + r^2 + \cdots + r^7) = 280, \; (r = e^k) [/tex]
You can solve for ##r## first, then get ##k## from that. However, solving for ##r## involves solving a 7th degree polynomial (and even doing the 7-term sum first does not help), so you must fall back on graphical/numerical solution methods. There will not be any nice formulas you can apply.
This is the sum of a geometric progression. That might simplify things a little.

Chestermiller said:
This is the sum of a geometric progression. That might simplify things a little.

As I said in # 5, even doing the sum does not help much; it replaces a 7th degree polynomlal equation by an 8th degree one!

Ray Vickson said:
As I said in # 5, even doing the sum does not help much; it replaces a 7th degree polynomlal equation by an 8th degree one!
But, the 8th degree equation only involves r8 and r. I solved the equation $$\frac{r^8-1}{r-1}=140$$ in 4 iterations. My first guess was r = 1.75. So, my sequence of guesses was

This all took a total of less than 5 minutes on my calculator.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
But, the 8th degree equation only involves r8 and r. I solved the equation $$\frac{r^8-1}{r-1}=140$$ in 4 iterations. My first guess was r = 1.75. So, my sequence of guesses was

This all took a total of less than 5 minutes on my calculator.

Chet

Well, of course there are numerous ways of solving that problem (or the non-summed one) numerically, and some are faster and/or easier than others. The main point I wanted to get across to the OP was that some such method must be used, and that there will be no nice "closed-form" formula that can be used to get the solution. However, it looks like he/she may have abandoned the thread.

Likes Chestermiller
Ray Vickson said:
Well, of course there are numerous ways of solving that problem (or the non-summed one) numerically, and some are faster and/or easier than others. The main point I wanted to get across to the OP was that some such method must be used, and that there will be no nice "closed-form" formula that can be used to get the solution. However, it looks like he/she may have abandoned the thread.
Thanks Ray. Anyway, it's a good thing he left because I summed the geometric progression incorrectly anyway. I should have solved:
$$\frac{r(r^7-1)}{r-1}=140$$

Oh well.

1. What is exponential growth?

Exponential growth is a type of growth where the quantity or size of something increases at a constant rate over time, resulting in a rapid increase in numbers or size.

2. What are the key characteristics of exponential growth?

The key characteristics of exponential growth include a constant growth rate, a rapid increase in numbers or size, and a J-shaped or hockey-stick shaped curve on a graph.

3. What are some real-life examples of exponential growth?

Examples of exponential growth in the natural world include population growth of species with no predators, spread of diseases, and growth of bacteria in a petri dish. In human society, examples include the adoption of new technologies, growth of social media platforms, and the spread of viral videos.

4. How does exponential growth differ from linear growth?

Exponential growth differs from linear growth in that it increases at a constant rate over time, while linear growth increases by a fixed amount over time. This results in a much faster increase in numbers or size with exponential growth compared to linear growth.

5. What are the potential consequences of unchecked exponential growth?

If left unchecked, exponential growth can lead to a rapid depletion of resources, overcrowding, and environmental degradation. It can also result in a collapse or crash of the system due to unsustainable growth. Therefore, it is important to understand and manage exponential growth to prevent negative consequences.