Difficult polynomial questions

• Thread starter regularngon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polynomial
In summary, Mystic is struggling to prepare for finals and has difficulty finding the factors of x^3 + x^2 + 22x + 15. For the first problem, Mystic thinks that there is only one answer and for the second problem, Mystic is not sure how to proceed.
regularngon
I'm trying to prepare for finals, and these questions have me completely stumped.

Homework Statement

1) For what primes p is x^2 + 1 a factor of x^3 + x^2 + 22x + 15 in F_p[x]? (F_p = finite field with p elements)

2) F a field. Let x^m - 1 have m distinct roots in F, suppose k divides m. Show x^k - 1 has k distinct roots in K.

2. The attempt at a solution

1) Obviously if x^2 + 1 is a factor the other factor must be linear of the form ax + b with coefficients a and b in F_p, a not zero. The only thing I could think of doing is setting up some nasty congruence relations on a and b but they got me nowhere.

2) I don't even know where to start. I don't really see how divisibility plays a role.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure, but...

Okay, so for the first one, I'd think you'd just apply the division algorithm for polynomials and then choose p so that your remainder is 0. If this way is right, I think there's only one answer.

For the second one, I'm not sure. Maybe write m as nk for some n and see what happens?

I'm not sure but I think for #2 you could write m=ka and then x^ka - 1= 0 has ka distinct roots and then write (x^k)^a - 1 = 0 has ka distinct roots. then we have (x^k)^a=1 and then taking to power a we get x^k=1 and then x^k -1 =0 for k distinct roots. I'm not sure I think it might be the right direction.

First off it should be k roots in F, not K.

Mystic I don't see how I find p that way, after all I have no way of figuring out the coefficients of the remainder.

Buzz thanks for your help but that doesn't work.

Sure you do. It's just normal polynomial long division. I just didn't want to outright say it.

You know, this seems to be a pattern in my answers lately.

Um how am I supposed to do long division if p is arbitrary?

Can't you just do it like a polynomial over the integers and then at the end see which p gives you a zero remainder?

1. What is a difficult polynomial question?

A difficult polynomial question is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the roots or solutions of a polynomial equation. These equations contain variables raised to different powers and can be challenging to solve because of their complexity.

2. How do I solve a difficult polynomial question?

The best approach to solving a difficult polynomial question is to use algebraic techniques such as factoring, the quadratic formula, or synthetic division. It also helps to have a good understanding of polynomial properties and techniques for simplifying expressions.

3. Can I use a calculator to solve difficult polynomial questions?

Yes, a calculator can be a useful tool for solving difficult polynomial questions. However, it is important to understand the concepts and techniques behind solving these equations to ensure the accuracy of the calculator's answers.

4. What is the degree of a polynomial equation?

The degree of a polynomial equation is the highest power of the variable in the equation. For example, in the equation 3x^2 + 5x + 2, the degree is 2 because the variable x is raised to the second power.

5. Why are polynomial equations important?

Polynomial equations are essential in many fields of science, including physics, engineering, and economics. They are used to model and solve real-world problems, making them a crucial tool in understanding and studying the world around us.