1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cyclotomic Polynomial Questions

1. May 16, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have a series of questions regarding a cyclotomic polynomial of order p-1 where p is a prime; so there are p total terms in this polynomial because their is a constant term. I will post the questions 1 at a time, and as soon as I work my way through one i'll post the next one in this same thread.

Let's go !

First Question: If b is a root of this cyclotomic polynomial, show that b, b^2, .... b^p-1 are all distinct roots of this polynomial

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm at a bit of a loss as where to start, Perhaps it is of note that this polynomial is irreducible, and it is the pth cyclotomic polynomial (although this means it is of order p-1 where p is a prime). I suspect that these two factoids are going to play a role in the solution to understanding why any root will generate all the other roots. Anyone have some insight for me?

2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2016 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I suggest starting with the formula given at the start of the wiki article. Since ##p## is prime, the formula becomes
    $$\Phi_{p}=\prod_{k=1}^{p-1}\Big(x-e^{2\pi i\frac kp}\Big)$$

You can use the primeness of ##p## to show that any root ##e^{2\pi i\frac kp}## can generate all the others.

4. May 17, 2016 #3
    Can you give me a hint on how I would show this? I understand that in the multiplicative group Z mod p, every element is a generator, and i'm aware that this must be pretty directly related to that fact, however I'm failing to completely connect the dots. The fact that p is in the denominator of the exponent is throwing me off I think, making it hard for me to see why this must be.

5. May 17, 2016 #4

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You're on the right track. I can't give much of a hint without giving the whole thing away. But if you think about the following two questions, there's a good chance you'll see a promising way forward.

1. If ##e^{2\pi i \frac kp}=e^{2\pi i \frac lp}## what can we say about the relationship between ##k## and ##l##?
    2. If ##b=e^{2\pi i \frac kp}## and ##r## is an integer between ##1## and ##p-1## inclusive, what is ##b^r##, written as a power of ##e##?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted