1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Difficult Projectile Motion Problem

1. Oct 5, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A player hits a ball 45º above the horizontal 1.3m above the ground. It clears a 3m wall 130m away. What was the initial velocity?

2. Relevant equations
    ?

3. The attempt at a solution

Normally projectile motion problems don't give me much trouble, but in this instance I'm not given the initial velocity and hence I cannot find the horizontal or vertical components of the velocity. It is 45º, so my thought was to find an equation in which the v_x=v_y, but nothing comes to mind.

The answer in the book is supposedly 36m/s, working backwards gives me a horizontal/vertical velocity of 25.45m/s. I can find the total time of the trip and the total horizontal distance (at a height of 1.3m) but from there I am trumped to find anything remotely similar for the other equation.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2009 #2
    Just had an epiphany

I think the 3m/130m height away is the vertex or maximum height

gonna try that out

edit: i don't think so... 100% stumped

Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook