1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Difficult Zeta Function Proof NEED ANSWER

1. Jan 24, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that sum(n=0 to infty, (zeta(it))^(n)) equals zero when the variable (it) is the imaginary part of the nontrivial zeros of the Riemann zeta function that have real part 1/2. For example, it=14.134i. Note: n represents the nth derivative of the zeta function.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried to approach this problem by expanding using a Euler-MacLaurin expansion, but failed because I obtained the original equation. Any help would be VERY much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2010 #2
    I really need help in the next hour or so; my proof fell apart at the last minute.

4. Jan 25, 2010 #3
    I changed the format to make the problem easier to read.

Prove that [tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} f^n(it)[/tex] equals 0 when [tex]it[/tex] is equal to the imaginary part of the zeros of the Riemann Zeta function that have real part 1/2, for example, [tex]it=14.134i[/tex]. Note: [tex]f^n(it)[/tex] is the nth derivative of the Riemann Zeta function

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook