Difficulty of other topics in physics

In summary, the speaker finds rotational/gyroscopic motion in Classical Mechanics to be more challenging than anything they have encountered in E&M. They attribute this difficulty to the infinite variety of brain teasers that can be asked about rotation. However, they have managed to understand it better now. They wonder how other areas of physics compare in difficulty, particularly in quantum, relativity, and thermodynamics/statistical mechanics. The speaker believes that mastering gyroscopic motion will better prepare them for these other areas.
FallenApple
I noticed that rotational/gyroscopic motion in Classical Mechanics is by far more difficult than anything I've seen in E&M. I mean I remember way back in undergrad, I spent more time on it than almost the whole course of E&M combined. Perhaps it's due to the fact that there are an infinite variety of brain teasers that can be asked about rotation. Not so with other things I've seen.

But I still managed. And I'm getting more of a hang of it now.

I wasn't a physics major so I wonder how other parts of physics stack up to it. Is there anything really mind boggling in quantum or relativity(at least problem solving wise)? What about thermo or statisitical mechanics?

I just want to know if its an uphill battle from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
FallenApple said:
I wasn't a physics major so I wonder how other parts of physics stack up to it. Is there anything really mind boggling in quantum or relativity(at least problem solving wise)? What about thermo or statisitical mechanics?

Yes.

However, you're not only learning about gyroscopic motion, but you're also discovering how to tackle difficult problems that have non-intuitive solutions. Because of that, you'll be more likely to succeed in quantum, relativity, and stat mech.

1. What makes certain topics in physics more difficult than others?

The difficulty of a topic in physics depends on several factors, including the complexity of the underlying concepts, the level of mathematical rigor required, and the amount of background knowledge needed to understand it. Additionally, some topics may be more abstract or counterintuitive, making them more challenging to grasp.

2. Are there any specific topics in physics that are universally considered difficult?

There are certainly some topics in physics that are generally considered more challenging than others, such as quantum mechanics, relativity, and thermodynamics. However, the level of difficulty can also vary among individuals, as it depends on their personal aptitude and interest in the subject.

3. How can I improve my understanding of difficult topics in physics?

To better understand difficult topics in physics, it is important to have a strong foundation in the fundamental principles and equations of the subject. Additionally, practicing problems and seeking help from others, such as teachers or peers, can also aid in comprehension.

4. Is it normal to struggle with certain topics in physics?

Yes, it is perfectly normal to struggle with certain topics in physics. Physics is a complex and constantly evolving field, and even experts in the subject may encounter challenges when learning new concepts or theories. It is important to remain persistent and seek help when needed.

5. Are there any resources available to help with difficult topics in physics?

Yes, there are many resources available to help with difficult topics in physics, such as textbooks, online tutorials, and study groups. Additionally, many universities and educational institutions offer tutoring services or have professors and teaching assistants available for extra help.