1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Diffraction Grating and Intensity

1. May 22, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that the maximum intensity for a diffraction grating of N slits at the first principal maximum is N^2 times bigger than for a single slit.

2. Relevant equations

I=I(0)[sin^2(NB)/sin^2(B)] where B is ([tex]\pi[/tex]dsin[tex]\phi[/tex])/[tex]\lambda[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I feel i understand the concepts here but this question has stumped me. I've scoured the internet, read through the relevant chapters in my two textbooks and still i can't see how this would be proven. It is just stated in my lecture notes, is it that intuitive?

I really would be grateful for any help.
  2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2010 #2

Homework Helper

The maximum is at Φ=0. You have to start with the limit sin(x)/x when x tends to 0. Find the limit of sin(Nx)/sin(x). Use that sin(Nx)/sin(x)=[sin(Nx)/Nx] N [x/sin(x)].

4. May 23, 2010 #3
    Thanks for the help, but i don't really understand the bolded part. I haven't seen that trig identity before and i can't see how it would be found.
  5. May 23, 2010 #4

Homework Helper

It is just multiplying both the numerator and the denominator with the same quantity and rearranging.

[tex]\frac{\sin(Nx)}{\sin(x)}=\frac{Nx\sin(Nx)}{Nx\sin(x)}=\frac{\sin(Nx)}{Nx} N \frac{x}{\sin(x)}[/tex]

6. May 23, 2010 #5
    Thankyou, and i apologise for my stupidity!

I've got it now.
    Last edited: May 23, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook