Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Diffraction Grating and Intensity

1. May 22, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that the maximum intensity for a diffraction grating of N slits at the first principal maximum is N^2 times bigger than for a single slit.

2. Relevant equations

I=I(0)[sin^2(NB)/sin^2(B)] where B is ([tex]\pi[/tex]dsin[tex]\phi[/tex])/[tex]\lambda[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I feel i understand the concepts here but this question has stumped me. I've scoured the internet, read through the relevant chapters in my two textbooks and still i can't see how this would be proven. It is just stated in my lecture notes, is it that intuitive?

I really would be grateful for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. May 22, 2010 #2

ehild

Homework Helper

The maximum is at Φ=0. You have to start with the limit sin(x)/x when x tends to 0. Find the limit of sin(Nx)/sin(x). Use that sin(Nx)/sin(x)=[sin(Nx)/Nx] N [x/sin(x)].

ehild

4. May 23, 2010 #3
    Thanks for the help, but i don't really understand the bolded part. I haven't seen that trig identity before and i can't see how it would be found.

5. May 23, 2010 #4

ehild

Homework Helper

It is just multiplying both the numerator and the denominator with the same quantity and rearranging.

[tex]\frac{\sin(Nx)}{\sin(x)}=\frac{Nx\sin(Nx)}{Nx\sin(x)}=\frac{\sin(Nx)}{Nx} N \frac{x}{\sin(x)}[/tex]

ehild

6. May 23, 2010 #5
    Thankyou, and i apologise for my stupidity!

I've got it now.

Last edited: May 23, 2010
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook