Diffraction Grating and Maximums

Using this value, the first three principal maxima have angles of 0.016°, 0.032°, and 0.048° above the central fringe, respectively.
majormaaz

Homework Statement

A grating has 728 lines per centimeter. Find the angles of the first three principal maxima above the central fringe when this grating is illuminated with 680 nm light.

Homework Equations

Our teacher briefly told us that N = # of slits / cm
and that d sin θ = mλ, and that d = 1/N

The Attempt at a Solution

I substituted d=1/N into the d sin θ = mλ so it became sin θ / N = mλ.
I then rearranged for θ to get arcsin(mNλ) = θ, and I plugged in values:
first order --> arcsin(1 * 728 * 680e-9) and so on for m = 2, 3.
However, I got it wrong.
I tried converting N into lines / m instead of cm, but I still got it wrong.

I know our teacher started to tell us this before class ended, but I feel that I am missing something

Physics news on Phys.org
never mind, I converted from cm into m in the opposite direction.
my bad. don't answer this.

In the equation d should be in metres

1. What is a diffraction grating?

A diffraction grating is an optical component that is made up of a large number of equally spaced parallel slits or grooves. When light passes through the grating, it is diffracted and produces a spectrum of colors.

2. How does a diffraction grating produce a spectrum?

A diffraction grating produces a spectrum by splitting white light into its component colors through diffraction. The spacing of the grating determines the angles at which the different colors are diffracted, resulting in a rainbow-like spectrum.

3. What is the grating equation?

The grating equation is a mathematical formula that relates the wavelength of light, the distance between the grating's lines, and the angle at which the light is diffracted. It is given by nλ = d(sinθ + sinφ), where n is the order of the maximum, λ is the wavelength, d is the grating spacing, θ is the angle of incidence, and φ is the angle of diffraction.

4. What are the different types of diffraction gratings?

There are two main types of diffraction gratings: transmission gratings and reflection gratings. Transmission gratings are made by etching grooves into a transparent material, while reflection gratings are made by coating a surface with a series of parallel reflective stripes.

5. How do you calculate the maximum number of orders in a diffraction grating?

The maximum number of orders in a diffraction grating can be calculated using the formula N = (2d sinθ)/λ, where N is the maximum number of orders, d is the grating spacing, θ is the angle of incidence, and λ is the wavelength. This formula gives the total number of bright spots or peaks that can be observed on either side of the central maximum.