Diffusion lab semipermeable membrane help

In summary, the conversation discusses a lab on diffusion and osmosis through a semipermeable membrane. The lab involves using dialysis tubing containing distilled water and a beaker containing glucose and starch, which is left overnight to observe changes. The second part of the lab involves using test tubes with various substances and a hot plate to observe color changes. The individual asking for help has been absent and is looking for assistance or reference sites. However, it is recommended to perform a make-up lab or get help from a classmate instead of seeking direct answers.
paulman

Homework Statement

diffusion thru a semipermeable membrane.

Homework Equations

section 1 of the lab

LAB - dialysis tubing containing distilled water and the beaker containing glucose and starch .. put it in water.
Leave it over night and jot the changes, it goes through osmosis but i odnt know what actually happens to the dialysis and such because i wasn't there.
----------------------------------
section 2 of the lab

TT1: contains water and benedict
TT2: contains water and starch
TT3: contains starch and benedict
TT4: contains starch and iodine

you put these on a hot plate and observe.. the colors will then change which i don't know what it changes to and i need to make a chart.

The Attempt at a Solution

no solution, I have been absent on the day of the lab and i have to make up for it, i have been looking all over the searches and i can't find the lab answers.

any info will be a lot of help. or reference sites, thank you

EDIT:
http://rvgs.k12.va.us/faculty/cbohland/gsb/labs/diffusionandosmosis.htm
found a similar lab to mine, but i still need help :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
paulman said:
no solution, I have been absent on the day of the lab and i have to make up for it

Half the point of the lab is to learn how to perform basic experiments and document their outcomes. If you missed the lab then you need to get with your instructor and see if you can perform a make-up lab. If you cannot, then you will most likely have to accept a zero or get help from another classmate who was there. In any case, there is very little we can do other than giving you the answers to this lab. Which would be cheating and is highly frowned upon here at PF.

Thread locked.

1. What is diffusion and how does it work in the context of a semipermeable membrane?

Diffusion is the movement of molecules or particles from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration. In the context of a semipermeable membrane, diffusion occurs when molecules are able to pass through the membrane based on their size and polarity.

2. What is the purpose of a diffusion lab using a semipermeable membrane?

The purpose of a diffusion lab using a semipermeable membrane is to observe and understand the process of diffusion and how it is affected by the properties of the membrane and the molecules being diffused.

3. How do you set up a diffusion lab with a semipermeable membrane?

To set up a diffusion lab with a semipermeable membrane, you will need two compartments separated by the membrane, a solution with molecules to be diffused, and a way to measure the diffusion, such as a spectrophotometer. The solution should be placed on one side of the membrane and the other side should be filled with a solvent or buffer solution.

4. What factors can affect the rate of diffusion in a semipermeable membrane?

The rate of diffusion in a semipermeable membrane can be affected by several factors, including the concentration gradient, the size and polarity of the molecules, the thickness and surface area of the membrane, and the temperature of the system.

5. How can the results of a diffusion lab with a semipermeable membrane be used in real-world applications?

The results of a diffusion lab with a semipermeable membrane can be applied in many real-world scenarios, such as understanding the movement of molecules in biological systems, designing drug delivery systems, and studying osmosis in plant and animal cells. These results can also be used to develop new materials and technologies, such as semipermeable membranes for water filtration or gas separation.