Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dilemma : Which Physics book to use?

1. Dec 4, 2012 #1
    Ok so ive got fundamentals of physics by halliday and Physics for scientists and engineers.
    I'd like to choose one of these books to study from as I believe studying from both would not be a good idea .. Which one of these books should i use? and why? Im learning Calculus alongside and Im up for a challenge ( which book is more rigorous). thanks :) ψ(P(eace)Si) :)

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2012 #2
    and if you guys think there are better Physics books available out there , please mention them (P.S Im using feynmans lectures as a substitute)

4. Dec 4, 2012 #3
    Why do you think that? More resources is not going to hurt you, its going to help you. Its a normal, and expected practice to seek out more resources when your book or lecture is not cutting it for you.

5. Dec 4, 2012 #4

Well I just thought tht if I studied some topic from one and another topic from the other i'd get all jumbled up and if I studied a topic from one and repeated the same topic from the other It'd be extremely time consuming?? :S so then how do suggest I use both books in conjuction and not mess things up

6. Dec 4, 2012 #5
    Well, obviously you should read about the topic you want to study. Yes, your topic of interest may be in different locations in each book, but that is what the table of contents and index is for. ;) The thing is that physics is the same no matter what book you read. If its a book on a historical figure then different texts would have a different message. But different books about physics should all point in the same direction. If you are studying angular momentum for example, review your notes from lecture and read the textbook section on it. Then if you are still confused pull out a second book and look for the angular momentum section and read that. Repeat until the subject is clear.

7. Dec 4, 2012 #6
    Fankoo :3 for your help

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook