Diluting HCl from 0.5000 M to 0.0500 M in a 500 mL flask

  • Thread starter Thread starter Bashyboy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Calculation Hcl
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
Bashyboy
Messages
1,419
Reaction score
5
Hi, I have a problem regarding a lab question. It goes as follows:

A student required .0500 M solution of hydrochloric acid, HCl, and has on hand a .5000 M solution. Calculate how much more of the concentrated solution, in mL units, must be pipetted if 400 mL of dilute solution are required, and a 500 mL volumetric flask is the only one available.

Am I simply to use the M1 x V1 = M2 x V2 equation?

Thank you
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Bashyboy said:
Am I simply to use the M1 x V1 = M2 x V2 equation?

It will do. Beware - question is tricky. Not in terms of difficult calculations, more like a brain teaser.

Please ask HW and HW type questions in homework & coursework forums.
 
The student "requires" 400 ml. of the resulting dilute solution, but because he only has a 500 ml. volumetric flask, he may choose to prepare 500 ml. of the dilute solution.
 
Thank you both. And I am sorry; I didn't know there was a separate form for homework questions, thank you for letting me know.