How to prepare 500 mL of 0.025 M of Glucose solution?

  • Thread starter Thread starter science_rules
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Glucose Prepare
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 8K views
science_rules
Messages
157
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement

:
I am using a virtual chemistry laboratory and the directions for the first lab experiment says to prepare 500 mL of 0.025 M of glucose solution by diluting the 1 M glucose solution. (I am re-posting this question due to the fact that the previous one was deleted because it wasn't placed in the appropriate forum.) [/B]

Homework Equations


Prepare: 500 mL of 0.025 M of glucose solution by diluting the 1 M(1 Mole) of glucose solution with distilled water.[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution


I am not sure what to do here and I don't know what I am supposed to multiply. I tried adding the diluted water to it, but it said that it would overflow because I had added 400 mL of the diluted water. It said to indicate in the report, which solutions were mixed together and the amounts of each, but I am not sure how to mix them. I take it the M stands for Moles? And mL stands for mililiters. Do I divide 500 by 1000mL first? [/B]
 
Physics news on Phys.org
How many moles of glucose are in 500 mL of a 0.025 M solution of glucose?

How many mL of a 1 M solution of glucose contains that number of moles of glucose?
 
Ygggdrasil said:
How many moles of glucose are in 500 mL of a 0.025 M solution of glucose? 500/1000 X 0.025 moles = 0.025 moles of glucose?

How many mL of a 1 M solution of glucose contains that number of moles of glucose?
0.0125 X 1000 = 12.5 mL?
 
Ygggdrasil said:
How many moles of glucose are in 500 mL of a 0.025 M solution of glucose?

How many mL of a 1 M solution of glucose contains that number of moles of glucose?

answer to your first question 1) 500/1000 X 0.025 moles of solution = 0.0125 moles?
answer to your second question 2) 0.0125 X 1000 = 12.5 mL?
 
Correct. To make 500 mL of a 0.025 M solution of glucose, you would take 12.5 mL of a 1 M solution of glucose, and add water to that until the final volume is 500 mL.

An easier way remember this approach is the formula M1V1 = M2V2.

In this case, the calculation would be 1M * V1 = 0.025M * 500mL. If you solve for V1 you would get 12.5 mL (essentially the same calculations as you presented above, just placed into one single formula).

Alternatively, you can calculate the "fold dilution." 1 M / 0.025 M = 40, so you are performing a 40-fold dilution. That means you would take 500 mL/40 = 12.5 mL of 1M glucose and dilute to 500 mL.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Jann Peter Simonsen and science_rules
Ygggdrasil said:
Correct. To make 500 mL of a 0.025 M solution of glucose, you would take 12.5 mL of a 1 M solution of glucose, and add water to that until the final volume is 500 mL.

An easier way remember this approach is the formula M1V1 = M2V2.

In this case, the calculation would be 1M * V1 = 0.025M * 500mL. If you solve for V1 you would get 12.5 mL (essentially the same calculations as you presented above, just placed into one single formula).

Alternatively, you can calculate the "fold dilution." 1 M / 0.025 M = 40, so you are performing a 40-fold dilution. That means you would take 500 mL/40 = 12.5 mL of 1M glucose and dilute to 500 mL.

Thank you!