Dimension of Eigenspace of A and A^T

  • Thread starter Thread starter potassium_mn04
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Dimension
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
1 reply · 1K views
potassium_mn04
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Homework Statement
Prove that the dimension of the eigenspace of A and dimension of eigenspace of A^T are equal
Relevant Equations
dim(E_A)=dim(E_(At))
I know that the rank of A and A^T are equal, and that the statement follows from there, but I have no idea how to prove it.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The eigenspace of ##A## corresponding to an eigenvalue ##\lambda## is the nullspace of ##\lambda I - A##. So, the dimension of that eigenspace is the nullity of ##\lambda I - A##. Are you familiar with the rank-nullity theorem? (If not, then look it up: Your book may call it differently.) You can apply that theorem here.