Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dimensionally impossible equation

1. Oct 23, 2015 #1
    I was reading some stuff about dimensionally impossible equations. It was said that the equation

v = e^bt (b is a constant so that bt is dimensionless)

was dimensionally impossible. I understand that BUT I don't understand what they said next about the dimension of the right-side. They said it was dimensionless, but I thought it had dimension T (like the left-side has dimension LT^-1)... Can someone explain me why I'm wrong? Thanks :)

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2015 #2

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

If that equation were written as v(t) = v0ebt then it would make more sense.

For that to make sense, ebt has to be dimensionless.

4. Oct 23, 2015 #3
    You said that ##bt## was dimensionless, so of course ##e^{bt}## is dimensionless also. But this is inconsistent with ##v(t)## having dimensions of length/time, so it is a "dimensionally impossible equation".

Generally speaking, transcendental functions like ##e^x##, ##\sin(x)##, ##\log(x)##, etc. can never operate on units and are always dimensionless. A small exception is when the inverse function appears in the same equation, like ##f(t) = e^{4 \log t}##. But it's unclear why you would ever write it this way rather than ##f(t)=t^4##.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  5. Oct 24, 2015 #4
    Any such equation has a constant in front, in this case, the constant is 1, in appropriate units. for example, v = e^bt would mean: v = (1 m/s) e^bt, a particular case of the equation written by jbriggs 444 above

6. Oct 24, 2015 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If b has dimensions of "1 over time", say, sec^{-1}, then bt is "dimensionless". Then ##v(t)= x_0e^{vt}## has whatever units ##x_0## does.

7. Oct 24, 2015 #6
    No, unless the text specifically states that a particular system of natural units are being used, such as atomic units. You would never see an equation like this with implied SI units.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook