Dinosaur question -- Was Earth's gravity lower in the past?

• I
  • Thread starter GregM
  • Start date
GregM
New poster has been reminded that links to peer-reviewed papers or mainstream textbooks are required in the technical PF forums.
Hello everyone,
I have researched about dinosaurs and pterosaurs and a theory by various authors claiming the only way to explain their great size is with ancient lower Earth gravity . If this is supported theory among scientists then the next question is: How could the Earth have lower gravity? One idea I've had is as the Earth cooled it also shrunk and therefore by the inverse square law the same mass would have stronger surface gravity. However it seems unlikely the Earth shrunk so much in 100 million years, also if the Earth was much larger in the past, wouldn't shrinking cause a massive speed up in spin rotation? The Earth may had very long days in the past.
Can it have happened this way? Or is there a better simpler theory of why the dinos got so large? Any links to acedemic debates and conclusions on this question?
Thanks

Answers and Replies

pinball1970
Gold Member
I would look into the climate side of things. Temperature, O2 CO2 levels.
@jim mcnamara @BillTre very knowledgeable on this

Mister T
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I have researched about dinosaurs and pterosaurs and a theory by various authors claiming the only way to explain their great size is with ancient lower Earth gravity .
Do you have references for these claims?

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2022 Award
I have researched about dinosaurs and pterosaurs and a theory by various authors claiming the only way to explain their great size is with ancient lower Earth gravity
Here of PF it is not acceptable to say "I read that ... " (or your "I have researched ... " . You have to provide specific citations from refereed journals otherwise we might just be discussing nonsense.

berkeman
Mentor
Thread closed for Moderation...

berkeman
Mentor
Thread will remain closed. @GregM -- check your PMs. You may start a new thread about this question if you can find links to peer-reviewed journal articles about your question.

Likes pinball1970, BillTre and jim mcnamara

Suggested for: Dinosaur question -- Was Earth's gravity lower in the past?

• Last Post
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views