Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dirac and Majorana spinors for neutrinos

1. Mar 14, 2015 #1
    Dirac description
    If I well understood a Dirac description for fermions is :
    ##\Psi_{D}=\Psi_{L}+\Psi_{R}## where ##\Psi_{L}## is the left-chiral spinor and ##\Psi_{R}## the right-chiral spinor.
    Each spinor, ##\Psi_{L} ## and ##\Psi_{R}## has 2 components cotrresponding to the particle and antiparticle :
    Q1 : Can we write ##\Psi_{L}=(\nu_{L},\bar{\nu}_{R}) ##? and ##\Psi_{R}=(\nu_{R},\bar{\nu}_{L})## ?

Majorana description
    The Majorana condition is ##\Psi_{L}=\Psi_{L}^{c}## and ##\Psi_{R}=\Psi_{R}^{c}##.
    Q2: is it right ?
    If yes, ##\Psi_{M}=\Psi_{L}+\Psi_{R}## can be written as ##\Psi_{M}=\Psi_{L}+\Psi_{R}^{c}=\Psi_{L}+(\Psi_{L})^{c}##
    with ##\Psi_{L}=(\nu_{L},\bar{\nu}_{R}) ## and ##(\Psi_{L})^{c}=((\nu_{L})^{c},(\bar{\nu}_{R})^{c}) =(\nu_{R}^{c},\bar{\nu}_{L}^{c})=(\nu_{R},\bar{\nu}_{L})##
    So the Majorana field describes the 4 states of the neutrino (##\nu_{L},\bar{\nu}_{R},\nu_{R},\bar{\nu}_{L}##)
    Q3: In such notation what is the difference between ##\nu_{L}^{c}## and ##\bar{\nu}_{L} ## ? Majorana condition ##\nu_{L}^{c} = \nu_{L}## can be also written as : ##\bar{\nu}_{L} = \nu_{L}## ???

I realise I am lost between antiparticle notation ##\bar{\nu}## and charge conjugate ##\nu^{c}##
    Can you help me ?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2015 #2
  4. Mar 16, 2015 #3

Avodyne

Science Advisor

Your questions cannot be answered without careful explanation of the notation. Are you using a particular text?

I recommend Srednicki's text (draft version available free from his web page) for a detailed explanation of Weyl, Dirac, and Majorana fields.

5. Mar 17, 2015 #4
    Thank you, this text is very useful.
    But I am still not sure to understand the difference between the fields component and the particle.
    For example for the Dirac field where ##\Psi_{D}=\Psi_{L}+\Psi_{R}##, the four components of the field ##\Psi_{D}## are ##\nu_{L},\bar{\nu}_{R},\nu_{R},\bar{\nu}_{L}## or is it something completely different ?
    Thank you...

6. Mar 17, 2015 #5

samalkhaiat

Science Advisor

No, [itex]\Psi_{L}[/itex] and [itex]\Psi_{R}[/itex] are 4-component spinors just like [itex]\Psi_{D}[/itex]. Why don’t you work it out yourself? In Dirac representation, you have [tex]\gamma_{5} = \left( \begin{array}{cc} 0_{2 \times 2} & I_{2 \times 2} \\ I_{2 \times 2} & 0_{2 \times 2} \end{array} \right) .[/tex] So, if you write [itex]\Psi_{D} = \left( \chi , \phi \right)^{T}[/itex], with [itex]\chi = \left( \psi_{1} , \psi_{2} \right)^{T}[/itex] and [itex]\phi = \left( \psi_{3} , \psi_{4} \right)^{T}[/itex], you find [tex]\Psi_{L} = \frac{1}{2} \left( \begin{array}{c} \chi - \phi \\ \phi - \chi \end{array} \right) , \ \ \ \Psi_{R} = \frac{1}{2} \left( \begin{array}{c} \chi + \phi \\ \phi + \chi \end{array} \right) .[/tex]
    Wrong again, Dirac equation has 4 independent solutions, each (massive) solution is given by 4-component spinor. Two of these solutions (spin up: [itex]u^{(1)} (p)[/itex] & spin down: [itex]u^{(2)} (p)[/itex]) represent a (massive) fermion and the other two solutions ( [itex]v^{( 1 , 2 )} (p)[/itex] ) describe the corresponding anti-fermion. The same is true for massless fermions except that the Dirac equation splits into two decoupled equations for the 2-component spinors [itex]\chi[/itex] and [itex]\phi[/itex] : [tex]E \chi = - ( \sigma \cdot p ) \chi ,[/tex] [tex]E \phi = ( \sigma \cdot p ) \phi .[/tex] Each one of these equations has 2 independent solutions: one (2-spinor) for [itex]E = | p |[/itex] ( [itex]\nu_{L}[/itex], if you like), and the other 2-spinor solution is for [itex]E = - | p |[/itex] ( i.e., [itex]\bar{\nu}_{R}[/itex] ) . So, when we say that [itex]\chi[/itex] describes [itex]\nu_{L}[/itex] and [itex]\bar{\nu}_{R}[/itex], this DOSE NOT mean that [itex]\nu_{L}[/itex] is the first component of [itex]\chi[/itex] and [itex]\bar{\nu}_{R}[/itex] is the second component. No, [itex]\nu_{L}[/itex] and [itex]\bar{\nu}_{R}[/itex] are 2 independent solutions of the SAME equation and each (massless particle) is described by 2-component spinor. Indeed, in the Weyl (chiral) representation, you find [itex]\Psi_{L} = ( \chi , 0 )^{T}[/itex] and [itex]\Psi_{R} = ( 0 , \phi )^{T}[/itex].
    What does it mean to pair together 2 independent solutions of the same equation? Is [itex]\Psi_{D} ( p ) = \left( u ( p ) , v ( p ) \right)[/itex]? Does the object [itex]( e^{-} , e^{+} )[/itex] make any mathematical sense? No, [itex]\Psi_{D} = u^{(1)} , u^{(2)} , v^{(1)} , v^{(2)}[/itex], these are four independent 4-component spinors solutions of the Dirac equation.

Sam

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook