1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Direct Products and Automorphisms

1. Nov 23, 2012 #1

Zondrina

Homework Helper

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Doing some suggested exercises out of my textbook today, there were two that I had trouble with.

1. Let G be a group and |G| = n. Suppose k is an integer relatively prime to n. Show that the mapping [itex]\phi : G → G \space | \space \phi(g) = g^k[/itex] is injective. If G is also abelian, show that the map [itex]\phi[/itex] is also an automorphism of G.

2. Suppose that [itex]\phi : \mathbb{Z_3} \oplus \mathbb{Z_5} → \mathbb{Z_{15}} \space | \space \phi((2,3)) = 2 \space[/itex] is an isomorphism. Find an element in [itex]\mathbb{Z_3} \oplus \mathbb{Z_5}[/itex] that maps to 1 in [itex]\mathbb{Z_{15}}[/itex].

2. Relevant equations

An automorphism is a bijective homomorphism.
    An isomorphism is a bijective map.

3. The attempt at a solution

1. Okay, so G is a group and |G| = n. We also know gcd(n,k) = 1 for some integer k which means that gcd(n,k) = 1 = an + bk for some integers a and b. I'm pretty sure this group is under multiplication, but I could be wrong.

- We want to show the map is one to one. So we assume [itex]\phi(r) = \phi(s)[/itex] and we want to show r = s for any r and s in G.

[itex]\phi(r) = \phi(s)[/itex]
    [itex]r^k = s^k[/itex]

Now here is where I get stuck, I'm pretty sure I have to use the fact that n and k are relatively prime here.

Ill save question 2 for after this one is finished. Any help is appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Use your observation that 1 = an + bk. So r^1=r^(an+bk). Where does that take you?

4. Nov 23, 2012 #3

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Hmmm :

1 = an + bk
    r1 = ran+bk
    r = ranrbk
    r = (rn)a(rk)b

I'm not sure how this is of assistance? Would I raise both sides to the k now?

A similar case can be observed for s, so ill work on r.

5. Nov 23, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You should know what r^n is. Use that to simplify it.

6. Nov 23, 2012 #5

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Oh, |G| = n, so rn = e.

So we would get :

r = ea(rk)b
    r = (rk)b

Similarly : s = (sk)b

So we would get :

rk = sk
    (rk)b = (sk)b

7. Nov 23, 2012 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So I assume you've got the proof?

8. Nov 23, 2012 #7

Zondrina

Homework Helper

That left a dirty aftertaste for some reason, I thought I may have been wrong. I also made a small error in my last post which I'll try to fix here.

So :

phi(r) = phi(s)
    rk = sk
    (rbk)k = (sbk)k

Now since 1 = an + bk we have that 1 - an = bk thus :

(r1-an)k = (s1-an)k

Hmm for some reason I'm not seeing this one. I know every element in G must have the form ak, but the simplification here isn't very straightforward for me.

9. Nov 23, 2012 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are overshooting. And there is no error in your last post. You know (r^k)^b=(s^k)^b and you've shown r=(r^k)^b and s=(s^k)^b. There's no simplification needed. Just state the conclusion.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  10. Nov 23, 2012 #9

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Wow now I feel silly. Thank you, so :

phi(r) = phi(s)
    rk = sk

phi(r) = phi(s)
    (rk)b = (sk)b
    r = s

Thus phi is injective.

Now assuming G is abelian, we want to show phi is surjective and a homomorphism which would mean it is an automorphism.

- So we want to show G is onto. That is for s in G we want to find r in G such that phi(r) = s.

Suppose that r = sb so we get :

phi(r) = phi(sb) = (sb)k = s

Thus phi is onto.

- To show that phi is a homomorphism, we must show phi(rs) = phi(r)phi(s) for any r and s in G.

phi(rs) = (rs)k = rksk = phi(r)phi(s)

Thus phi is an automorphism of G.

Lookin good?

EDIT : I didn't even have to use the fact G was abelian... still wondering if this is okay.

11. Nov 23, 2012 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You still have some issues. Showing it's a homomorphism is a great idea and that part looks good. And if I were grading this I'd like to see the first part written up in a form that looks more like a proof, but you can probably handle that. It's the surjective part that needs work. That doesn't make any sense at all. You can't 'assume' r=s^b, now can you? Look, G is a finite set. Can you have a mapping from G->G that is injective without being surjective? Think about it.

12. Nov 23, 2012 #11

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Ahhhh G is a finite group, so any map from a finite group to itself is injective if and only if it is surjective. That would take care of it I believe wouldn't it?

These aren't for grades so I'm being a bit sloppy I'll admit, but it's the concept I'm concerned with.

Actually I can even reference a previous result from another exercise that I've done to save myself the work of proving the if and only if.

Would that be good afterwards though?

13. Nov 23, 2012 #12

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Oh, I think it's generally ok for practice. But with your "EDIT : I didn't even have to use the fact G was abelian... still wondering if this is okay." That would NOT be ok. Yes, you did use that G is abelian. Where?

14. Nov 23, 2012 #13

Zondrina

Homework Helper

I believe it was this step here :

phi(rs) = (rs)k = (Right here ) rksk = phi(r)phi(s)

15. Nov 23, 2012 #14

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's the one alright.

16. Nov 23, 2012 #15

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Sweet.

Now for the second one. First we note :

Z3 [itex]\oplus[/itex] Z5 = { (0,0), (0,1), (0,2), (0,3), (0,4), (1,0), (1,1), (1,2), (1,3), (1,4), (2,0), (2,1), (2,2), (2,3), (2,4) }

We also know that phi((2,3)) = 2 where (2,3) is in Z3 [itex]\oplus[/itex] Z5 and 2 is in Z15.

So we seek some (a,b) in Z3 [itex]\oplus[/itex] Z5 such that phi((a,b)) = 1.

Now, note for the case of (2,3) which get mapped to 2, we have that the order of 2 in Z15 is infinity so it must be the case that the order of (2,3) is also infinity.

Now in Z15, the order of 1 is 15, so we seek (a,b) in Z3 [itex]\oplus[/itex] Z5 such that |(a,b)| = 15.

Notice that we want 15 = |(a,b)| = lcm(|a|,|b|). So we want |a| = 3 and |b| = 5 or |a| = 5 and |b| = 3. In Z3 the order of 1 is 3 and in Z5 the order of 1 is 5. Thus phi((1,1)) = 1 and we are done.

17. Nov 23, 2012 #16

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Is that good ^?

18. Nov 23, 2012 #17

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, it's not. How can you even believe it? What do you mean the order of 2 in Z_15 is infinity?? Z_15 is a finite group. How can it have an element of order infinity? This one doesn't even need any deep analysis. phi((2,3))=2. So what's phi((2,3)+(2,3))? phi((2,3)+(2,3)+(2,3))? Keep going.

19. Nov 23, 2012 #18

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Ohhh I stopped too early and made an incorrect presumption. The |2| = 15 in Z15, so lcm(|2|,|3|) = lcm(3,5) = 15 for 2 in Z3 and 3 in Z5.

Now for what you said :

(2,3)+(2,3) = (1,1)
    (2,3)+(2,3)+(2,3) = (0,4)
    (2,3)+(2,3)+(2,3)+(2,3) = (2,2)
    (2,3)+(2,3)+(2,3)+(2,3)+(2,3) = (1,0)
    (2,3)+(2,3)+(2,3)+(2,3)+(2,3)+(2,3) = (0,3)

Wouldn't (1,1) work here though regardless?

In Z3, |2| = 3 and in Z5, |2| = 5 so (2,2) would also be a candidate.

20. Nov 23, 2012 #19

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm really having a hard time figuring out what is going through your mind. If, as you correctly say, (2,3)+(2,3)=(1,1) then phi((1,1))=phi((2,3)+(2,3))=phi((2,3))+phi((2,3))=2+2=4. 4 isn't equal to 1 mod 15 is it? Why would you think it is? Forget abstract thought for a bit and just do the numbers.

21. Nov 23, 2012 #20

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Wow. Once again I feel silly.

So :

(2,3)+(2,3)+(2,3)+(2,3)+(2,3)+(2,3)+(2,3)+(2,3) = (1,4)

phi((1,4)) = phi((2,3)+(2,3)+(2,3)+(2,3)+(2,3)+(2,3)+(2,3)+(2,3)) = 2+2+2+2+2+2+2+2 = 16 = 1

Since 16mod15 = 1.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook