Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Direct sum of nullspace and range

1. Sep 10, 2013 #1
    Is this true? I am studying direct sums and was wondering if the following statement holds? It seems to be true if one considers the proof of the dimension theorem, but I need to be sure, so I can steer my proof toward a particular direction.

## N(T) \bigoplus R(T) = V ## where ##V## is the source of the linear map ##T:V → V## ?

BiP

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2013 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's not. The null space and range have dimensions which add up to the dimension of V, but they can overlap. For example consider the map

T(x,y) = (y,0).

This is a linear map from R2 to R2. The null space is (x,0) for x in R and the range is (x,0) for x in R, so N(T)+R(T) is just the x-axis

4. Sep 10, 2013 #3
    I see. Suppose that you knew the statement to be true. Then could you conclude that T is invertible?

BiP

5. Sep 10, 2013 #4

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's not hard to construct a projection in two dimensions which is a counterexample to that claim

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook