Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Algebraic properites of the direct sum

1. Sep 18, 2013 #1
    Is the following statement true? I am trying to see if I can use it as a lemma for a larger proof:

Let ##V## be a vector space and let ##W, W_{1},W_{2}...W_{k} ## be subspaces of ##V##.
    Suppose that ## W_{1} \bigoplus W_{2} \bigoplus ... \bigoplus W_{k} = W ##
    Then is it always the case that:
    ## (W_{1} \cap W) \bigoplus (W_{2} \cap W) \bigoplus ... \bigoplus (W_{k} \cap W) = W ##

In essence, this is asking whether there is a distributive law compatible with the set intersection operation and the direct sum operation. I am only asking for a determination of whether the statement is true for false. I will work out the proof/counterexample for myself.

Thanks!

BiP

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2013 #2

lavinia

Science Advisor

Ask yourself whether the Wi are subspaces of W

4. Sep 19, 2013 #3
    It is obvious if they are subspaces of ##W##, but what if they aren't?

BiP

5. Sep 19, 2013 #4

lavinia

Science Advisor

If W is the direct sum of the Wi then show me an element of one of the Wi's that is not in W

6. Sep 20, 2013 #5

Erland

Science Advisor

As it stands, the answer is obviously yes, since each ##W_i## is a subspace of ##W##, and hence ##W_ i\cap W=W_i##.

But I assume that there is a typo and that you meant ## W_{1} \bigoplus W_{2} \bigoplus ... \bigoplus W_{k} = V ##. Then, the answer is no. It is almost trivial to find a counterexample in R2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook