Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Direct sum of the eigenspaces equals V?

1. Aug 6, 2013 #1
    I am following Friedberg's text and having some trouble understanding some of the theorems regarding diagonalizability. The proofs seem to skip some steps, so I guess I need to work through them a bit more slowly.

Given a linear operator ## T:V → V ##, with eigenspaces ## \{ E_{ \lambda_{1}},E_{ \lambda_{2}},...E_{ \lambda_{k}} \} ##, is it true that ## E_{ \lambda_{1}} \bigoplus E_{ \lambda_{2}} \bigoplus E_{ \lambda_{2}} ... \bigoplus E_{ \lambda_{k}} = V ## ?

What if T is diagonalizable? This is just a thought which may perhaps help me to understand diagonalizability a bit better. I simply need to know whether this is right or not. Please no explanations, as I will prove it myself. Thanks!

BiP

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2013 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Assuming all eigenvalues are distinct (V is k dimensional), it is correct.

Things get slightly more complicated if an eigenvalue has multiplicity. The eigenvectors for such an eigenvalue define a multidimensional space (dimension = multiplicity of eigenvalue).

4. Aug 7, 2013 #3
    Suppose the eigenvalues are distinct, but dim(V) > k so that the eigenvalues all have multiplicity. Then what?

BiP

5. Aug 7, 2013 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If the n by n matrix, V, is diagonalizable then we have n independent eigenvectors. If a given eigenvalue has multiplicity i then we can find i independent vectors that span its "eigenspace". The whole point of "diagonal" is that there exist a basis such that all vectors in the basis are eigenvectors.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook