Direct sum of the eigenspaces equals V?

In summary, The conversation discusses the concept of diagonalizability in linear algebra, specifically focusing on the proofs and understanding of theorems related to diagonalizability. The question is posed about whether the direct sum of eigenspaces equals the original vector space, and the answer is given that it is true when all eigenvalues are distinct. The conversation also considers the case when an eigenvalue has multiplicity and how it affects the diagonalizability of a matrix.
Bipolarity
I am following Friedberg's text and having some trouble understanding some of the theorems regarding diagonalizability. The proofs seem to skip some steps, so I guess I need to work through them a bit more slowly.

Given a linear operator ## T:V → V ##, with eigenspaces ## \{ E_{ \lambda_{1}},E_{ \lambda_{2}},...E_{ \lambda_{k}} \} ##, is it true that ## E_{ \lambda_{1}} \bigoplus E_{ \lambda_{2}} \bigoplus E_{ \lambda_{2}} ... \bigoplus E_{ \lambda_{k}} = V ## ?

What if T is diagonalizable? This is just a thought which may perhaps help me to understand diagonalizability a bit better. I simply need to know whether this is right or not. Please no explanations, as I will prove it myself. Thanks!

BiP

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming all eigenvalues are distinct (V is k dimensional), it is correct.

Things get slightly more complicated if an eigenvalue has multiplicity. The eigenvectors for such an eigenvalue define a multidimensional space (dimension = multiplicity of eigenvalue).

Suppose the eigenvalues are distinct, but dim(V) > k so that the eigenvalues all have multiplicity. Then what?

BiP

If the n by n matrix, V, is diagonalizable then we have n independent eigenvectors. If a given eigenvalue has multiplicity i then we can find i independent vectors that span its "eigenspace". The whole point of "diagonal" is that there exist a basis such that all vectors in the basis are eigenvectors.

olarBear,

Yes, it is true that the direct sum of the eigenspaces of a linear operator ##T:V \to V## equals ##V##. This is known as the diagonalizability theorem, and it states that if ##T## has ##n## distinct eigenvalues ##\lambda_1, \lambda_2, ..., \lambda_n##, then ##V## can be decomposed as the direct sum of the corresponding eigenspaces, i.e. ##V = E_{\lambda_1} \oplus E_{\lambda_2} \oplus ... \oplus E_{\lambda_n}##.

Furthermore, if ##T## is diagonalizable, then it means that there exists a basis of ##V## consisting of eigenvectors of ##T##. This is a very useful property, as it allows us to easily compute the action of ##T## on any vector in ##V##, by simply multiplying it by the corresponding eigenvalue. This simplifies many calculations and makes working with ##T## much easier.

I understand that the proofs in Friedberg's text may seem to skip some steps, but it is important to remember that the proofs are meant to be guides and not necessarily exhaustive. It is always helpful to take the time to work through the proofs and understand each step in detail. This will not only help you understand the theorems better, but also improve your overall understanding of linear algebra.

I hope this helps you in your understanding of diagonalizability. Keep up the good work in your studies!

What is the direct sum of eigenspaces?

The direct sum of eigenspaces is a concept in linear algebra that refers to the sum of all eigenspaces associated with a linear operator. It is denoted as a direct sum because each eigenspace is independent and does not overlap with any other eigenspace.

Why is the direct sum of eigenspaces important?

The direct sum of eigenspaces allows us to decompose a vector space into smaller, more manageable subspaces. This can help simplify calculations and make it easier to understand the behavior of a linear operator.

How do you prove that the direct sum of eigenspaces equals the entire vector space?

To prove that the direct sum of eigenspaces equals the entire vector space, we must show that every vector in the space can be written as a linear combination of eigenvectors. This can be done by showing that the eigenvectors are linearly independent and span the entire space.

Can the direct sum of eigenspaces be equal to the vector space if there are repeated eigenvalues?

Yes, the direct sum of eigenspaces can still equal the vector space even if there are repeated eigenvalues. This is because the eigenspaces will still be independent as long as the corresponding eigenvectors are linearly independent.

What is the relationship between the direct sum of eigenspaces and the diagonalization of a matrix?

The direct sum of eigenspaces is closely related to the diagonalization of a matrix. In fact, a matrix is diagonalizable if and only if the direct sum of its eigenspaces equals the entire vector space. This means that the diagonalization process essentially involves finding a basis for each eigenspace and combining them to form a diagonal matrix.