Direction (already hired) for my Chemistry career

In summary, the conversation is about a recent graduate seeking advice on the order in which to pursue certifications and post-graduate degrees for their desired career progression. They currently hold a Chemist 1 position and are aiming for a Production Supervisor role with specific expectations. They are considering ISO-9001 and Black Belt certifications, as well as an MBA and PhD in Chemical Engineering. The company is supportive of further education and may contribute towards expenses. The conversation also mentions the importance of actively discussing career goals with the company and not relying on vague suggestions. It is suggested to wait for a performance assessment before pursuing further education, and to also consider in-house certification options. It is also mentioned that relevant degrees and volunteer work may substitute for the required years of
mcooper1986
Hi all,

Thank you in advance for your responses. I recently graduated with my bachelors in Chemistry (December) and was gainfully employed immediately thereafter (Early January) by company X. I am seeking advice as to the order in which I should pursue certifications and post Bachelor degrees. It is not a matter of what I should get, but rather a: what order would be recommended question.

My current job is labeled Chemist 1 with the following job duties:
-Oversee and improve the development and implementation of production of certain chemical compounds.
-Manage said production facility if the supervisor is not in.
-Attend meetings and sit on boards and contribute to improving QA and QC of said process.
-Prioritize production and oversee chemical operators
-Approve changes to controlled process

The job I want to get eventually is Production Supervisor with the following expectations/"wishlist":
-Manage production in said facility
-Continue and seek active ways to improve QA and QC by scrutinizing procedures for production
-Hold meetings and sit on boards and contribute to improving QA and QC of said process.
-Prioritize production and oversee chemical operators and Chemists
-Approve changes to controlled process
-Apply ISO9001 and Black Belt Certification to improve process

(Needs >/= 5 years relevant experience, preferred to have a master's and certifications but relevant degrees/certification can be substituted for experience)

The certifications I want to get:

ISO-9001
Black Belt Certification

The advanced degrees I want to get:

MBA (emphasis unknown but leaning towards straight management or finance)
PhD Chemical Engineering

___________________________________________________________________________________

I have passively talked to my direct supervisor about continuing my education and it has been suggested that they would be supportive of me continuing my education. Said company contributes towards your school expenses if planned on a given track.

The Black Belt Certification would cost about $5000 to attend courses and be able to take the exams to get the certification.

The ISO-9001 certification I am not sure how long that will take and how much it will cost.

I plan on getting the other degrees online (~$4000 per semester) as they are more flexible and I would be able to build up a reputation within the company showing company while getting the degrees.

The learning curve for the job is high and I am starting to get more serious with a girl (I would like at least four years before children). Those are my only time constraints currently.

I was thinking of the following flow diagram for my career:

Black Belt Cert (Fall 2014) --> ISO Cert. (Spring 2015) --> MBA (2015-2017) --> (Passively ChemE PhD)

Suggestions? Are there certifications that I am missing that could be helpful? What MBA subsection should I specialize in?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have a career objective of doing a specific job in the company, you need to talk to the company about the best way to achieve that. Speculating on your own about what order to do courses etc is probably pointless. If the company is seriously into ISO 9001 and 6-Sigma, there are probably regular "training slots," either for in house or external courses, that the most appropriate people (in the company's opinion!) get sent on.

Don't "passively" talk about it. Presumably you will have an annual performance assessment. That is a good time to "actively" bring this up and make sure it is registered in "the HR system" as what you want to do. If you don't want to wait till your first assessment, find out from your supervisor how to proceed with something definite, don't rely on vague "suggestions about being supportive".

On the other hand you may be jumping the gun a bit here. If your target job needs 5+ years experience, don't be surprised if the company wants to wait for a while (maybe a year) till they decide how capable you are, and whether it's worth spending their money on training you.

Likes 1 person
AlephZero said:
If you have a career objective of doing a specific job in the company, you need to talk to the company about the best way to achieve that. Speculating on your own about what order to do courses etc is probably pointless. If the company is seriously into ISO 9001 and 6-Sigma, there are probably regular "training slots," either for in house or external courses, that the most appropriate people (in the company's opinion!) get sent on.

Don't "passively" talk about it. Presumably you will have an annual performance assessment. That is a good time to "actively" bring this up and make sure it is registered in "the HR system" as what you want to do. If you don't want to wait till your first assessment, find out from your supervisor how to proceed with something definite, don't rely on vague "suggestions about being supportive".

On the other hand you may be jumping the gun a bit here. If your target job needs 5+ years experience, don't be surprised if the company wants to wait for a while (maybe a year) till they decide how capable you are, and whether it's worth spending their money on training you.

I've already looked up the systems of QA that they and the customers comply with so those would be the big two that stand out. They have a six months review. I am confident that they are expecting me to take on additional responsibility that would be supported by these certifications/degrees.

True, I will probably bring it up in a month or so that I can plant the idea of getting certification in a less stressful environment. They do have in house certification, but I want to be proactive about advancing my career and may consider it worth the time and money to invest in it myself. I know about the executive MBAs and etc... but it may pay more just to get a simple MBA.

With education/volunteering I may have the level of degrees/certifications/volunteer work that would qualify as "experience" such that I would only need 2-3 years of actual working experience to qualify for the supervisor position.

Thanks again for your opinion. I appreciate it.

Last edited:

Related to Direction (already hired) for my Chemistry career

1. What are the typical job duties of a chemist?

As a chemist, your main job duties will include conducting experiments and research, analyzing data and samples, developing and testing new products or processes, and writing reports and publications based on your findings. You may also be responsible for managing laboratory equipment and overseeing the work of other scientists.

2. What skills are necessary for a successful career in chemistry?

Some key skills for a successful career in chemistry include strong analytical and problem-solving skills, attention to detail, critical thinking, and an aptitude for math and science. Good communication and teamwork skills are also important, as well as the ability to adapt to new technologies and techniques.

3. What type of education is required for a career in chemistry?

To become a chemist, you will typically need at least a bachelor's degree in chemistry or a related field. Many positions also require a master's or doctoral degree, especially for more advanced research or teaching roles. It is important to continue learning and staying updated on new developments in the field throughout your career.

4. What are some potential career paths in chemistry?

Chemistry offers a wide range of career paths, including roles in research and development, quality control, manufacturing, and education. You may also have the opportunity to specialize in a specific area of chemistry, such as organic chemistry, analytical chemistry, or materials science. Some chemists also work in related fields such as environmental science, pharmaceuticals, or forensic science.

5. What is the job outlook for chemists?

The job outlook for chemists is generally positive, with a projected growth rate of 7% from 2019-2029. This is slightly higher than the average growth rate for all occupations. However, competition for jobs can be strong, especially for research and development positions. Having a strong education, relevant experience, and a diverse skill set can help you stand out in the job market.