1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Direction of electric current in a conductor

1. Jul 26, 2012 #1
    ok so here is the question
    number 45 and its second part

487915_10151943578795526_1020142720_n.jpg

and this is what i did

I have a c magnet drawn with the north pole and the bottom opening right. And the magnetic field lines running between the two polls (virtically) And I have a conductor running between the poles perpendicular to the field lines. I don't understand what the coils are suppose to be.
    ------------------------- S
    | ^ *= magnetic field lines (i have 3 in my picture)
    | 0 ^ 0= conductor
    ------------------------- N

can anyone please help me ... i know i didnt draw the right diagram.. i just need the diagram and then i can explain it ... i dont get the coils !

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2012 #2
    ok my picture went all wanky when i hit submit ... those lines are suppose to be at the ends of the poles !! sorry... i hope you can still see what i mean

4. Jul 26, 2012 #3

PeterO

Homework Helper

The terms primary coils and secondary coils usually are used when referring to transformers. Perhaps the text has just pasted in the reference to the wrong question..
    With your diagram, I would expect you to be explaining what current, if any, was induced in the conductor if it moved perpendicular to itself, and to the field - so left or right in your diagram.

5. Jul 26, 2012 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Use an editor program such as "Notepad" to create your "picture". Then use [ code ] "tags" to get something closer to the format that you want.

Code (Text):

-------------------------  S
    |                          ^     *= magnetic field lines (i have 3 in my picture)
    |      0                   ^     0= conductor
    ------------------------- N

6. Jul 26, 2012 #5

So in my diagram the current Would e going right.

And that's what I believed that it was incorrect because the next question refers to transformers

7. Jul 26, 2012 #6

PeterO

Homework Helper

You are right, the NEXT question refers to transformers. Question 45 just reads wrong. As written it is a garbage question, worthy only of a garbage answer - ie: give no answer to it, and explain why.

8. Jul 26, 2012 #7
    I dont need 45 I already did it

But could you explain to me why the current flows right like I get it but at the same time I don't .. ;s

9. Jul 26, 2012 #8
    Would a good explaination be Because of te right hand rule the current has to flow right ?

10. Jul 26, 2012 #9

PeterO

Homework Helper

I thought this whole thread was about question 45???

11. Jul 26, 2012 #10
    That's what I ment sorry. I don't need help with 46 the transformers. My apologies I read it wrong

12. Jul 26, 2012 #11
    I don't understand how lenzes law or the motor law

13. Jul 26, 2012 #12
    I dont understand how lenzes law or the motor law is in this. I only understand how the right han rule shows direction of current.

14. Jul 26, 2012 #13

PeterO

Homework Helper

NO, a good explanation would be that the original question makes no mention of coils, so explaining the role of the current in the primary and secondary coils is a ridiculous request.

If you are considering your original diagram, the current is not to the right.

Your diagram looks to be like a C-magnet [we usually call them horse-shoe magnets] drawn in the plane of the page, with a straight conductor passing into/out of the page, deep inside the jaws.

If you now move that conductor to the right, there will be a current induced out of the page, along the conductor.
    If you then move the conductor back to the left, there will be an induced current into the page

Any induced current will be along the conductor, so unless the conductor is drawn passing from left to right, the current could not be to the right [or the left]

15. Jul 26, 2012 #14
    So this question number 45.. Can not be Anwsered is what you are saying and a drawing can not be drawn for it?

16. Jul 26, 2012 #15

PeterO

Homework Helper

If you just ignore all reference to coils, your diagram, and my explanation fit the situation described quite well.

If coils must be involved, the question is rubbish.

17. Jul 26, 2012 #16
    Ok so I leave my diagram the way it is .. But the current dose not flow to the right correct ?

18. Jul 26, 2012 #17
    So where is my current .. I'm kind of lost now :s

19. Jul 26, 2012 #18

Sorry I'm a little lost

20. Jul 27, 2012 #19

PeterO

Homework Helper

I won't answer that question - but I will ask you this:

In which element/component shown in your diagram, was the current to the right going to flow?

21. Jul 27, 2012 #20

Ok lenzes law states

An induced electromotive force (emf) always gives rise to a current whose magnetic field opposes the original change in magnetic flux.

So it was going up and out of page?0

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook