Direction of force on circular loop.

In summary, the direction of the resultant force on a pair of pieces of circular loop is based on the direction of the current in the straight conductor.
diinnoo

Homework Statement

Find direction of force on circular loop

http://pokit.org/get/img/b886e52efb703d47d09fa6e781c74461.jpg

What would hapend if direction of the current in a straight conductor were different ?

Homework Equations

------

The Attempt at a Solution

http://pokit.org/get/img/7b5d76e176716f45edb5dbf331ff9e3e.jpg

I try to do this by using right hand rule, but this is just assumptions, I am not sure is this correct or can it be done like this. When direction of current change i don't know what would happend, or how straith conductor influence? I hope you would help me ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi diinnoo! welcome to pf! :smile:

you're only asked for the direction, so can't you just use general principles, and symmetry?

the force between two straight currents in the same direction is … ?

in the opposite direction is … ?

now apply that to tiny bits of the circle, in pairs at opposite ends of the same diameter :wink:

thanks for welcome tiny-tim.

Yes only direction was asked, i think two straight current same direction force would attract each other, when they are opposit they wil reject each other, two forces.

I tried this using unit vectors i tried something like this

http://pokit.org/get/img/96569110fd7b5c1228052db376c5fecd.jpg

but i can do this onle wher direction of current is same as unit vector i or j, i don't know how to do it on whole circut. but in this examle above i again don see influence of straight current.

if the loop is is placed parallel to the field there will be a couple acting on it, when it's perpendicular the two forces will be equal opposite and have the same line of action

I really didnt understand you, sorry, or you just can simply draw what you thought. In school we did task like this, with straight conuctor and metal frame, in same plane. Direction we find using units vector, as my example up.

http://pokit.org/get/img/23dd764ee7a54aef8c120e0932b3eb97.jpg

And this task should be on same principes but much harder :(

hi diinnoo! :smile:
diinnoo said:
… two straight current same direction force would attract each other, when they are opposit they wil reject each other, two forces.

yes … so first consider two very small parts of the circle, at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock …

which one will have the larger force, and so what will be the direction of the resultant force on the pair?

(this is similar to the question in your diagram, but your "hollow" arrows are wrong …)
diinnoo said:
http://pokit.org/get/img/23dd764ee7a54aef8c120e0932b3eb97.jpg

then consider the resultant force on four very small parts, at 1 5 7 and 11 o'clock :wink:

What is the direction of force on a circular loop?

The direction of force on a circular loop is perpendicular to the plane of the loop, and it depends on the direction of the current flowing through the loop and the direction of the magnetic field.

How do you determine the direction of force on a circular loop?

To determine the direction of force on a circular loop, you can use the right-hand rule. Point your thumb in the direction of the current and your fingers in the direction of the magnetic field. The force will act in the direction that your palm faces.

Does the direction of force on a circular loop change with the direction of the current?

Yes, the direction of force on a circular loop changes with the direction of the current. If the direction of the current is reversed, the direction of force will also be reversed.

How does the strength of the magnetic field affect the direction of force on a circular loop?

The strength of the magnetic field affects the direction of force on a circular loop by increasing or decreasing the magnitude of the force. A stronger magnetic field will result in a greater force on the loop.

Can the direction of force on a circular loop be controlled?

Yes, the direction of force on a circular loop can be controlled by changing the direction of the current or the strength of the magnetic field. By altering these factors, the direction of the force can be manipulated to achieve a desired outcome.